Options

Legitimate weekend gig offer?

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
I applied for a gig on craigslist and received this reply a couple of days later. Could anyone tell me if this is legitimate?
I am responding to all the applications I received for a one time need in Miami to mount a UPS, replace a router (being shipped), replace a network switch, label about 20 network drops (testing equipment will be there), confirm that all computers (five) are plugged in via a network drop and are on the correct network and confirm that all VoIP phones are on the correct subnet. I estimate 3 to 4 hours and it will pay $40/hour. I am not in Florida but own an I.T. company in Texas and my client has a few computers in an office in Miami. I will pay the worker directly via paypal (preferred) or can send a check.

The client has chosen Sunday, April 21st from 2 pm to 6 pm. Please let me know if you are available during those times. Based on those responses I will narrow the candidates down.

Thank you for your response.

How can I ensure that I will get paid properly?? Can anyone share some experience? I'm relatively new to weekend gigs here and there.
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    You could contact them and ask them for more information about the company posting the job and do some research on them. Also I would have them sign a SOW "Statement of Work" that says exactly what the expectations are. Ask questions about the router and switch. Are they preconfigured or is it a copy paste? If you have to configure them yourself that could eat into your time. Ask to see the site first before you agree. Does the UPS power require a different plug type than what in the room? If desk and other furnishing are pushed up against jacks you could spend a lot of time just tracing down the cabling. So these are just some quick thoughts. good luck.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)