Options

Sony-backed ISP supposedly world's fastest for home users - 2gb

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
My 35mb Comcast connection would be like a dial up compared to this! Sony ISP launches world's fastest home Internet, 2Gbps - Computerworld.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I only get 10 Mbps for the same price. Japan is always on the cutting edge Internet speed wise (technology wise in a lot of ways).

i saw an article once about gigabit satellite connections.
  • Options
    1Cisco11Cisco1 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gigabit satellite connections?! I am skeptical, but intrigued. I live in KC and am fortunate enough to get google fiber. I laugh so hard when I hear someone bragging about how fast their Gb google fiber connection is, only to find out they are the only user on their home network and connect to it using a wireless G p.o.s. router. But they swear up and down (and brag even more) that their internet connection is the "fastest" in the world. LOL, someone should inform them that the max throughput for wireless g is 54Mbps. But not me, I enjoy laughing at them.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1Cisco1 wrote: »
    Gigabit satellite connections?! I am skeptical, but intrigued. I live in KC and am fortunate enough to get google fiber. I laugh so hard when I hear someone bragging about how fast their Gb google fiber connection is, only to find out they are the only user on their home network and connect to it using a wireless G p.o.s. router. But they swear up and down (and brag even more) that their internet connection is the "fastest" in the world. LOL, someone should inform them that the max throughput for wireless g is 54Mbps. But not me, I enjoy laughing at them.

umm 54Mbps is so last year, even the p.o.s routers that ISP's supply these days can run a lot faster than that. the Virgin super hub which really is a P.O.S can give you 300Mbps if you computer supports it.

And 1 gig satellite connections are nothing new, with satellites is has always been issues with the latency rather than speed. and this I think is the main issue it has not been researched and pushed as much as other forms of broadband access. What really pushed home broadband in the late 90's and early 00's was gamers, and we required low latency rather than high speed. It was not until the speeds hit 2Mbps that streaming video become possible and now its all about speed.

I was at a confrence the last week which gave a glimps of the future, LOLA (LOw LAtency) Audio Visual Streaming System. Video conferencing with < 5 millisecond latency. In-fact the latency is so small you don't need echo cancellation, and people 200miles away can play instruments like they are on the same stage. Trouble is that you cant do it between US and UK as even at the speed of light you introduce to much lag. A satellite link would be even worse.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    1Cisco11Cisco1 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "umm 54Mbps is so last year, even the p.o.s routers that ISP's supply these days can run a lot faster than that. the Virgin super hub which really is a P.O.S can give you 300Mbps if you computer supports it."

My point being, with any kind of wireless (or even a 10/100 NIC) they are not realizing 100% of the links capacity. Even if they were to use a wireless router that was as fast as 300Mbps (referred to as wireless N, I believe) that is still only 3/10's of the Gb link's capacity. Additionally, I believe wireless G is more than 1 year old.

Also, I had no idea Satellite connections could be that fast. I have heard the latency is terrible. To DevilWAH, do you work with Satellite technologies on the job? I am curious to know what applications exist for them. How are they used apart from video? It is an area of telecommunications that I am pretty blind to.

Hope im not getting too far off track, Bokeh. What would one even need a 2Gbps connection for? I doubt I could utilize that much bandwidth at home without hosting services.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always figured those super fast connections really only benefit customers who are hosting something or maybe doing something like downloading a torrent.