Options

curious IOS question

djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm sitting here messing around with a 3550 switch...

Why does the IOS allow you to "attempt" to assign an IP address and mask to a switchport interface and then gives the message:

"IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links"

which I understand but why would the IOS even allow me to get that far? Why is it even an option?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You want it to know what you are going to type before you do it and stop you?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□

lol the switch has become self-aware!

I don't know the exact answer, but maybe it has something to do with the 3550 being a layer 3 switch. So the hardware does, or can, make switching decisions based on IP addressing. Just a guess, I have no idea.
  • Options
    djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol.. that would be cool.

But no, I'm curious if it is there for a reason I have yet to learn about.

I'm going to check to see if my 2950 does the same.
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□

That would make this CCENT exam I have coming up a whole lot easier too. Not to mention configuring routers/switches in an enterprise environment. A little heads up from the hardware would increase up-time I bet.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Some vendor software prevents you from typing invalid commands. At this point Cisco probably doesn't change due to familiarity and no point in trying to implement a new feature that no one really cares about.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    It's because it's a valid command. if you had a layer-3 version of the 3550 with ipservices software, you could issue "no switchport" under the interface... which makes it a routed port... which can be configured with an IP address. The switch lets you type it, and after you do... it realizes you haven't met all of the prerequisites for that command to work.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powmia wrote: »
    It's because it's a valid command. if you had a layer-3 version of the 3550 with ipservices software, you could issue "no switchport" under the interface... which makes it a routed port... which can be configured with an IP address. The switch lets you type it, and after you do... it realizes you haven't met all of the prerequisites for that command to work.

Came to say this. Once you move on to CCNP you'll see that the multilayer switches can act have routing and routed interfaces available which accept the ip address command. Also keep in mind that when you're configuring VLAN "interfaces" they accept the ip address command as well.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you trying to do to be exact?
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security