A directly connected host can oing all ports on its router?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196

I'm doing Cisco Netacad Packet Tracer 2.3.2: Verify Connectivity of Directly Connected Devices. From PC1, I can ping router R1's ethernet port 172.16.3.1 and R1's serial port 0/0/0's IP 172.16.3.1, but nothing beyound R1's serial port. The study material says Ping from PC1 to router R2's serial port 172.16.3.2 "will fail because router R2 is not directly connected to PC1." Can I conclude, by default, a directly connected host can ping a route's all ports with an IP address?

Comments

• pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well that router should be PC1's default gateway, so if everything is configured properly, yes, it will be able to ping it. My guess is that R1 doesn't have any routes for the subnets past it, or there isn't a routing protocol setup. Until that is done, the router will not know where to route packets, including ping requests. No offense meant if you knew that already.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And the router knows about the directly attached subnets, if you are able to check the routing table you should see both subnets there. So yes, a pc should be able to ping both interfaces.