Options

Frustrated with Certifications vendor vs. end user certs (How to get around it?)

So, I've been trying to get on with a storage company. I have experience with Compellent SANS but no certification. We are about to get a new Compellent SAN. I have the opportunity to go to a Compellent class and get certified but this class is only for end users not the vendor certification that a Compellent vendor would be looking for me to have if they were going to hire me for an engineer.

I've had an interview with EMC. I didn't get hired according to my friend that works for them because I have not EMC certs or experience with EMC or if I were certified in the Compellent then they would take that because they compete with Compellent often.

How do I can I get a vendor cert if I don't work for a vendor? It's very frustrating. I've spoken with Dell and they said they could not help. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just voicing my frustration more than anything.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The same way you get any other cert - a combination of study and experience. No experience will require lots of study, while lots of experience means little studying. I have certs from Microsoft, Cisco and EMC, yet I have never worked for any of those companies.

The EMCISA certification is supposed to be vendor-neutral, mostly just generic storage concepts, or at least it was when I took it. To progress further with EMC you need to specialize in a certain technology or platform like Clariion, Symmetrix, or Celerra. It's tough to get the experience since there aren't many junior SAN admin jobs out there, compared to other junior admin positions.

You can get the entry level certs without much experience. I got my EMCISA when we were beginning the implementation of a new EMC SAN. I had training vouchers that paid for the online course, but the best resource was actually a Cisco SAN book. If you are serious about pursuing storage as a career (I decided against it), you will have to buck up for the vendor course or roll your own training material from vendor websites and the few good SAN books out there. If that entry level cert will get your foot in the door, you will be able to gain the experience and have access to internal vendor training to further your career.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    I guess I didn't explain the situation correctly. My problem is the vendors are telling me unless you work for a reseller you can't take the vendor specific courseware only the end user version which is basic and just covers operation which I know how to do already. It also doesn't prepare you for their engineer certification tests. I work for a corporation not a vendor. How can I take the vendor courseware w/out being a vendor so I can get a job with a reseller that is looking for these skills?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well if you can only take these exams working for the vendor than I think that answers your question.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Bender RodriguezBender Rodriguez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it's the paper you are after, I fell your pain. It seems like vendors shoot themselves in the foot sometimes by not making their certs. more accessible. At the same time, I do feel that it protects the value of the cert. If it's the knowledge you're after, what is stopping you from purchasing used gear to practice on? Also, if your company is buying some Compellent San gear, you might have an opportunity to get some on the job experience which, imho, is the real gold...right? I would say go for the end user class/cert. It may be painful, but imo it can only increase the likelihood of you having opportunities to work with the equipment you want. Won't look bad on a resume for a SAN career, either. A piece of paper does not an engineer make.