Options

Certifications on resume

MrUsernameMrUsername Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have some limited experiences in IT. Mostly related to monkey work, such as PC deployments, basic troubleshooting when simple things go wrong, setting up printers, outlook configuration etc.. I don't really consider this to be real IT work and I feel like the "skills" I apply here do not really give me the right to claim I have IT experience. I have my A+ and Network+ certifications, but I do not list on my resume because I don't feel my real world experience warrants me to say I have a solid understanding of the material covered on those exams. After all, the real world is much different than what we get in books and in training classes. Now my question is when will it be acceptable for me to list those certifications? Also, how can I move on from these fake-IT jobs and into real jobs where I can develop real skills? I should also mention that I have my CCNA, but I have no idea how I will ever get any real world experience with that. Short of copying and pasting configurations during deployments or doing basic configs to get it online and ready for remote config, I don't see how it's possible to get real experience.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    You can go ahead and list them, those are beginner certifications. Nothing wrong with including them IMO.

Professional Certifications:

A+, Network +
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I second RouteMyPacket, nothing wrong with listing these certs. In fact, you WANT to list them so the prospective employer knows about them. You want them to have another reason to interview you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, you need to list them, you earned them so you have enough knowledge to pass the tests. It sets the bar for some of what the employer can expect. For example, no one has to teach you how to subnet or install RAM, you know that stuff, and that's what these certifications say.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless you got them years ago and haven't done anything relevant since, I would list them. Hell, I would list them even if that's the case. This is entry-level stuff, and if you could pass the test it indicates you know enough to justify listing them.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340