The Value of the A+ Exam: Yup, another one of these threads

Bender RodriguezBender Rodriguez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if any of you find real value in the A+ exam outside of it being a tool to enter the IT arena. To me, it seems like a door opener, but only if you have no experience. I have yet to see a job description that requires an individual to have the A+ certification. Is this one just a racket? Please post your thoughts..

Comments

• KMYostKMYost Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, it seems painfully basic to someone with your certs I'm sure. But when I started out into IT, I would have been totally lost without the things that I learned studying for the A+. Everybody is different, but for me it was a good experience and my first cert. Somebody with a CCNA would probably want to hide the fact that they have an A+, because parking an A+ on a resume that has a CCNA would be kind of like showing off your muscle car and then saying "Oh, and I've got a moped, too!"
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Great points KMYost. The A+ helps provide a solid foundation for anyone going into IT, especially when combined with the Network+ and Security+ certifications. There are many times when people skip the certifications and end up with gaping holes in their knowledge. I gave a real world example in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/88219-has-anyone-used-book.html. Unless they're able to figure out what they don't know and fill in the holes, it negatively affects their career path.

One of the great things about any certification is that it lays out a detailed study path based on specific objectives to ensure someone gains a full set of knowledge on the topic. Books and courses are then developed around the objectives. Another benefit is that when someone pays for the certification they have some skin in the game and ensure they learn the objectives. In contrast, if someone decides to read a book all the while knowing they will not be tested on their knowledge, they often don't learn it at the same depth.

That said, it isn't necessarily valuable to go backwards. As an exaggeration, someone with a CCIE doesn't need an A+.

On the other hand, if someone finds that their career is stagnated and their peers often know more than them, it might be valuable to go back to the basics.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some really good points here. I think A+ is great for someone who is new to the scene and wants some creds to get a job and learn a few things.

The one thing that really sticks out is that you are 2/3 of the way to your CCNP. Please finish that before anything else!
    :)
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, depends on the type of job you are looking for. I would imagine they wouldn't want an A+ only but something a little more vendor specific. I've seen jobs for entry roles in the chicago area ask for A+, network+, MS, or helpdesk related certs. I've also seen many with higher level or vendor specific with education and exp requirements. It looks like where you are is beyond the scope of jobs requiring A+.
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    The A+ certification helped me get my first Level 2 job.
    Couldn't have been happier. It was a dream for me to get off that busy first level role with loads off incoming calls and be able to do some "real" troubleshooting with more or less unlimited time for researching issues and outgoing calls only.

They had mentioned the A+ in the job description and there were other people that applied for the job without certifications but that had the knowledge and that had been there longer than me, but I think getting certifications in general is a good thing as It proves that you are really interested in what you do.

But not everyone are willing to study for certifications.
    Especially in service desk environments where there is high turnover and everyone wants to get promoted the first day they step in that door.

Been there done that, good luck!:)
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I graduated with a BS in MIS about a year ago and have been doing technical software sales since. I happened to accidentally fall into this job while I was in the midst of trying to break in to IT. I don't really want to persue a career in Dekstop as MIS is geared towards management etc. But it seems the path typically began with most IT careers.

Problem is im in a catch22 as I feel the A+ can open the door, even though I know most of the material anyway. I don't really see the value in it, but as it is increasingly difficult to get in the door as a Desktop/Systems Analyst type of role, I am thinking of just banging it out and seeing if my chances increase.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    KMYost wrote: »
    Well, it seems painfully basic to someone with your certs I'm sure. But when I started out into IT, I would have been totally lost without the things that I learned studying for the A+. Everybody is different, but for me it was a good experience and my first cert. Somebody with a CCNA would probably want to hide the fact that they have an A+, because parking an A+ on a resume that has a CCNA would be kind of like showing off your muscle car and then saying "Oh, and I've got a moped, too!"

I will echo this. I was told by two mentors not to focus too much on the A+ (they are in hiring positions currently), instead just wait for school to start and work hard on learning the coursework. I got tired of sitting on my hands waiting for school to start, so here I am 4 weeks into the A+ self study route and I am glad i did this.

Also I have run into a few job postings locally that listed "Applicant must have AT LEAST one of the following: A+, Network+, CCNA" etc...

I think more than anything, it shows you have some level of dedication to the field and a willingness to learn. <---that is what someone would want in a helpdesk trainee.

Also I think there is too much emphasis on A+ alone. It should be a part of a package, like A+, Net+, MTA: Desktop for certification, then a blog you keep updated to show you are interested outside of the "work" aspect of IT and some volunteer work if you are lucky enough to get such a thing.

Of course, this is all entry level stuff...I dont think any of that would do a 2+ year vet much good.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't have any experience in IT when i started out but ever since have A+ i now have a clear view on which career path i should take to pursue a career in IT. A+ takes you straight to the door step into opening up your dreams, if you are looking for my point of view i think A+ is a very solid foundation and A+ contributes a serious value in your IT career.
  • PolycosmPolycosm Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't speak to how the A+ certification may or may not resonate with employers, but along the line of what Darril wrote and others have echoed, I can say that for me, studying for the A+ exams filled in some holes in my knowledge and has given me a foothold in preparing for future exams. I think there's a temptation for a lot of people to dismiss the A+ as "beneath" them, but I was surprised at what I learned from it. A solid foundation in the basics can make the process of learning harder subjects run much smoother.
  • chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kind of just skimmed through this, but I will say for my help desk job, you have to have your A+ to be a full time employee. And I think snow.bros might have said this, but it really does seem to open doors as far as knowing where you want to go next with IT.
  • ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I decided at the beginning of the summer that I'd try to obtain the A+ before returning to school in September. However, once my internship began, I thought about the price of the exams and how little ROI I'd get out of it (I dont intend on working helpdesk) I began losing motivation. I actually learned quite a bit from the A+ content and have been putting it into practice by helping friends and family with their computer problems, but I just cant be bothered to shell out $320 for the exams (+$75 BS charge for three years membership). Rather buy a second generation Nexus 7.

What do you guys think? Should I just suck it up and do the exam