Options

MTA vs MCTS

Hello,

I was hoping to get some quick feedback in regards to MTA Server vs one of the MCTS exams. As some of you know, I will be taking the 70-680 next week. Should I fail it, I do not intend to re-attempt as I was never really interested to begin with, which may be part of my issue passing... My next stop will be Server &/or Linux.

Having absolutely ZERO experience with Server (other than the next, next, finish install) do you think the MTA would be worth a quick stop prior to starting my Server studies? Based on the MTA OS that I have passed, I would expect it to take an extra few days for me to cover. I don't want to waste money on needless materials, but I am willing to spend money to ensure I learn everything I need.

What do you guys / gals think?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dont think the MTA would provide you more information (or sense of achievement) than reading up about the server OS on TechNet (for example). IMO, there's no need to plonk any cash into a cert not many people know about, nor does it provide a decent grounding.

Dont want to discourage you or anything, but if you arent interested in the Win7 cert, you shouldnt do it. You dont like studying for it, this likely means you havent studied enough, and you may fail. I'd reevaluate and only attempt a cert I want/am prepared for.

Did you lab enough for this one? Do you even like Windows stuff (just curious)

P.S. I'll also add that I found the server exams way more than interesting than the client ones.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was studying for my 70-640, and I needed a push to keep studying for it as I was getting burnt out kinda like you described. So I went and got my MTA Server. compared to the MCTS its easy, but if you dont have direct exp it might take longer then "I would expect it to take an extra few days for me to cover."

But passing it did give me the push to keep at the MCTS and finally pass it.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I started the 70-680 right after my A+ in 2011 because I felt it was the "accepted" first step into the IT world and M$ certification. In 2012 I started going over the material instead of passively playing with some of the topics and was immediately bored to tears with it. I have the exam scheduled and would like to see a pass, as I have dedicated a lot of time and effort (not to mention some money) into the 70-680.

However, if I cannot pass the exam, I will walk away from it knowing I have learned a lot, including the knowledge that DST isn't what I want to do. I will be able to apply a lot of the information to the server studies which really took the wind out of my 70-680 sails when I first started playing around with 2K8.

I hate to leave something unfinished, but I hate even more wasting time on an exam I either don't think is important or don't care enough about to focus 100% on during my studies.

I have a few days left before the 70-680 and I will push myself to ensure I know as much as possible for the exam. A pass MIGHT be a cause for pause as the 685 / 686 might be worth looking at. Other than that, I might watch one or two of the MTA CBT Nuggets, then it is off to Server for a while.