Options

T1 connections

CDelapena2CDelapena2 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I understand that T1/E1 CAS connections are typically used for data communications on a WIC interface card. However I see "WIC" labeled on modules with serial ports as well as modules with RJ-11 connectors. Are these the same T1 lines just with different connectors? Also, is one likely to see a VWIC module with a serial port and not a RJ-11 port?

Thank you for your insight

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    WIC stands for WAN Interface Card. WAN stands for wide-area network. So if you think about it, serial connections and T1 connections are WAN connections. The WIC modules that you see that have RJ-11 connectors are meant for remote router management as well as dial backup for leased lines like T1s. I work in a data center NOC at the moment and have not seen any of our routers have WIC cards like those, even the older 2600 routers.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So basically the way it used to work was you had a serial port on a router - either built in like an old 2500 series, or on a 2600 series (and newer) a WIC-1T or 2T (or NM-4T, etc.) - and you would connect it to an external CSU/DSU that was then connected to the T1 line. Basically one of these:

Around the time the 1700/2600 series routers came out they integrated the CSU/DSU into the WIC cards. These use an RJ48 (not RJ11) jack which is the typical way T1/E1/ISDN service is terminated by the telco. I can't imagine you're going to run into a T1 with an external CSU/DSU still in production these days, but you never know. ;)
  • Options
    CDelapena2CDelapena2 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton guys.