Options

Help deciding career path...

GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
Hey Techexams, I just found this forum and it looks like a great resource of information for help obtaining certifications. Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want to work with Cisco, Microsoft or work with databases. When did some of you guys figure out what you wanted to do with your IT career and how?

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    A good route that a lot of people go (including myself) is starting out in Help Desk so you get to taste a lot of technologies...as you learn more you may develop an affinity towards a discipline or domain and then pursue that route.

I went from Help Desk to Linux Sys Admin and after participating in a cybersecurity capture the flag exercise I realized my calling is Security, leaning towards netsec/appsec at the moment.
  • Options
    GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I'm in a help desk role right now and I'm leaning towards network security myself too actually. But I figured I would have to get a NOC job first to get my foot in the door. The problem is I like working with databases and I don't mind system admin work either so it's hard for me to choose 1 to focus on.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Gorby wrote: »
    . . .The problem is I like working with databases and I don't mind system admin work either so it's hard for me to choose 1 to focus on.

I'm facing a similar quandary, and I've been at IT longer than I should admit.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Sys admin's can work with databases, sometimes even in a DBA capacity.

There's a lot of ways you can route this and understanding the holistic view is very important in security so it's not necessarily a bad thing casting a wide net.