Options

Expected Salary for this position?

skoal2k4skoal2k4 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to get other IT professionals opinions on the the salary expectation for a position based on the job description below. The position supports and administers ~350 users and systems, as well as ~10 servers. The position deals primarily with the client side of operations and only takes care of "their own" servers. SCCM is heavily used and administered by this position.

In the Colorado area (Denver) and based on the job description below, what would you all expect to be paid if you were to take the position below? (sorry for the wall of text!)

Position Summary:
The Enterprise Support Technician is responsible for installing, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining, and administering support and field client systems and user accounts, as well as maintaining Support Center A/V equipment and printers.

Essential Functions:
• Provide first and all subsequent level problem prevention and resolution
• Maintain an action plan for problem resolution and keeps the end-user updated on problem progress and status
• Assure all problems are resolved in accordance with service level agreements
• Maintain, troubleshoot, and administer Enterprise Support infrastructure systems to include SCCM, Anti-virus, Print, and Encryption management
• Research, package, and deploy COTS software and updates
• Research, package, and deploy Microsoft updates and hotfixes
• Perform setup and configuration of workstations and user accounts for the enterprise
• GPO creation/modification for client systems and end-user accounts
• Asset and software license management and planning
• Receive input from end users regarding their IT needs, balance their input with company resources and what is best from and IT perspective, and make recommendations for future hardware, software, peripherals, procedures, etc.
• Support the Support Center printers and A/V equipment

Additional Responsibilities That May Be Performed:
• Resolution of client system hardware failures
• Manual malware removal
• Interact with other IT Departments regarding IT projects and issues
• IT equipment setup and/or relocation

Education, Experience and Skills Required:
Education & Experience
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent
• A minimum of 2 years desktop support experience
• A minimum of 1years help desk support experience
• A minimum of 6 months customer service experience
Job-Related Skills
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Intermediate to advanced level knowledge of current versions of MS Windows, MS Office Suite, Internet Explorer, Call-tracking software, and Adobe software
• Intermediate to advanced level knowledge of Enterprise Anti-virus technologies
• Thorough knowledge of Windows domain and Active Directory architecture
• Intermediate to advanced level knowledge of SCCM, IIS, SQL Server, WSUS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP
• Intermediate to advanced computer hardware and software knowledge
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of scripting technologies (Batch, VBS, Powershell, etc.)
• Analytically oriented and possess good problem-solving skills
• Should be curious and inquisitive about new technology and be able to pick up new concepts quickly
• Ability to effectively mange constantly changing priorities
• Intermediate data entry/typing skills

Other
• A+ Certification or equivalent experience
• Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician (MSCDT) certification or equivalent experience, MCP

Internal/External Interactions:
Internal Interactions
This position interacts internally with all employees in the corporate office as well as remote/field employees as it relates to enterprise support issues.
External Interactions
This position interacts externally with various hardware, software, print and maintenance vendors as it relates to upgrades and problem resolutions.
Leadership Responsibility:
This position has no direct leadership responsibilities.
Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

This position requires medium level work. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds; objects may be bulky and awkward. Twisting and turning may be required. May occasionally use power tools. Fine motor coordination required with small tools. Environmental hazards include exposure to electrical current of varying voltages. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to process vague, abstract verbal and written instructions. Ability to work under stress, interruptions and tight deadlines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, little exposure to chemicals. This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Using a COL calc I'm guessing 50-60k range.

It seems to be entry to mid level tier I and II support is how I read it.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say 40 - 50k.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I will probably say around 38k-48k a year based on a Maine salary. Not sure of Colorado.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Thank you all... just wanted to get a view from people in the field on this
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    First of all, I would always ask for more details on this position. It states "Research, package, and deploy"

So that tells me this person is expected to have solid experience in packaging and deploying software out to an Enterprise. So I wouldn't think this is a "low" tier position. Next thing I would do is go to salary.com and start getting a feel for what the market is on SCCM/SCOM/SMS Administrators.

The Job Related Skills section is what leads me to believe this position is not what it seems. I certainly wouldn't have a Help Desk or Desktop person "researching, packaging and deploying" in my Enterprise. I'm guessing it is your typical shot in the dark posting to see what it attracts.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    SCCM Admins in the area make about 70-75K in the low to mid range... I looked that up a few months ago

Research, package, and deploy means just that. This position is responsible for all packaging and deployment of software to client systems via SCCM, as well as maintaining (updating) the packages when needed.

I'm currently filling the role and have been for just over 4 years. During review, I asked my boss about a raise since I'm doing more than the original job description stated. He asked me to re-write it to more accurately reflect what I do and he would send would see about sending it to HR to see about re-evaluating the pay. I just left the "years experience" and "other" parts alone.

Job related skills cover a lot of what you would deal with when you administer an SCCM environment. SQL Server, IIS, WSUS (managed by SCCM)... all components to make SCCM work. DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP... not core to SCCM, but knowing how they work I would think is essential

I was just trying to get a feel of if I was out of line for thinking I should be paid more based on the job. I'm sure everybody thinks they deserve more money, so it's good to get a different perspective on it (I don't know anybody in the IT field besides the people I work with).
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Sponx wrote: »
    I will probably say around 38k-48k a year based on a Maine salary. Not sure of Colorado.

I'd guess about the same, if pressed...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    31890125.jpg
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    50K would be about right in the Raleigh, NC area. Not sure about Denver.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    skoal2k4 wrote: »
    SCCM Admins in the area make about 70-75K in the low to mid range... I looked that up a few months ago

Research, package, and deploy means just that. This position is responsible for all packaging and deployment of software to client systems via SCCM, as well as maintaining (updating) the packages when needed.

I'm currently filling the role and have been for just over 4 years. During review, I asked my boss about a raise since I'm doing more than the original job description stated. He asked me to re-write it to more accurately reflect what I do and he would send would see about sending it to HR to see about re-evaluating the pay. I just left the "years experience" and "other" parts alone.

Job related skills cover a lot of what you would deal with when you administer an SCCM environment. SQL Server, IIS, WSUS (managed by SCCM)... all components to make SCCM work. DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP... not core to SCCM, but knowing how they work I would think is essential

I was just trying to get a feel of if I was out of line for thinking I should be paid more based on the job. I'm sure everybody thinks they deserve more money, so it's good to get a different perspective on it (I don't know anybody in the IT field besides the people I work with).

Ha! You couldn't fool me, I knew something was up. icon_lol.gif

I would fully expect an SMS/SCCM administrator to have a sound grasp on Active Directory and Group Policies and the effect they can have on the Enterprise. The only thing that could keep an SCCM administrator's salary low is if they do not let you manage AD and the system infrastructure and you literally work in SCCM all day long tweaking and packaging deployments as needed.

I don't think $70,000 is overkill for someone who can walk into a business and implement a turn key solution.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This position requires medium level work. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds; objects may be bulky and awkward. Twisting and turning may be required. May occasionally use power tools. Fine motor coordination required with small tools. Environmental hazards include exposure to electrical current of varying voltages. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to process vague, abstract verbal and written instructions. Ability to work under stress, interruptions and tight deadlines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, little exposure to chemicals. This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.

wow .. Afraid to get sued much ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gut says 50K without factoring in much about the Denver area. I believe cost of living is higher there, would likely skew actual.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This position is so out there. The education/experience requirements read like a junior server admin or senior DST job. The job responsibility and skills descriptions are clearly for a mid-level desktop/systems engineer. If they're really putting junior/entry level admins with no actual admin experience in front of SCCM and saying "here, deploy stuff," they're about to have a bad day.

What I get from this is they want to pay you $40-$55K to do $75-95K level work. I guess go and interview and see what it's really about, because the description is all over the place. It's like it's for two different jobs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    What I get from this is they want to pay you $40-$55K to do $75-95K level work...

Isn't that true for most companies? :)

The job somewhat morphed over the last 3-4 years from purely desktop support to more of an SCCM admin/engineer and client systems admin/engineer type of position (Admin and Engineer really don't mean much with the company other than engineer has a higher pay rate. If a person was a server system admin and another was a server system engineer, they would both do the same job, but the engineer would be paid more).
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't view DST and desktop engineering as even related. A good desktop/systems engineering group can certainly reduce the scope of DST, but not eliminate it in my opinion. DST experience doesn't qualify someone to even touch SCCM. We let our DST/helpdesk add users to groups for deployment, and that's about it. No way I'd turn over packaging and advertising to someone without significant admin experience, knowledge, and skills.

On the pay scale, I actually haven't found it to be the case that most companies want to hire and underpay IT pros to do work above their pay grade. I've never been low-balled after a successful interview despite my age and education, and even when I've been too high, it's usually by less than $10K. I really don't see a lot of $80K job positions offering $50K. You don't many of them because they don't get filled. There are also a ton of ridiculously overpaid support positions out there. Companies with old-school industrial mentality let people stay in that position forever getting 3-5% raises every year, or high salaries to boot because turnover is always bad. You'd be surprised how many tier 1 support positions are paying $50K, $60K even on hourly with overtime.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    This position is so out there. The education/experience requirements read like a junior server admin or senior DST job. The job responsibility and skills descriptions are clearly for a mid-level desktop/systems engineer. If they're really putting junior/entry level admins with no actual admin experience in front of SCCM and saying "here, deploy stuff," they're about to have a bad day.

What I get from this is they want to pay you $40-$55K to do $75-95K level work. I guess go and interview and see what it's really about, because the description is all over the place. It's like it's for two different jobs.

Agreed. It's either a desk-side support position with some system administration work, or more system administration with some desk-side support work. The other factor is your experience, if you've got a few years under your belt that makes a big difference.

Just as an aside, when I worked as a helpdesk role in the Denver area, I was making 40k and that was 10 years ago. Once I got bumped up to Jr Sys Admin I was in the 50k range. If it's primarly client support I wouldn't take less than 45k if you have experience. If it's more a sys admin role with SCCM administration I wouldn't take less than 70k.