Options

Choosing WGU IT specialty

Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi gang,

I left college 15+ years ago, between 2 schools I had at least 3 years done. I worked in different areas of IT in the time after, so at least 13 years of experience now doing different things. I did my MCSE in 99 in NT4 and my CCNA probably around 8 or so years ago. I was most of the way through my CCNP but I started working at this crazy start up and just lost track.

The last few years I've been working for tiny companies so my experience on big servers and some newer tech is lacking and/or rusty. I've really wanted to finish my degree for a very long time and finally going to push to get it done. I'm thinking of going into something more specialized than "IT guy" that I always seem to be in little companies. In small enough places that translates into everything from networking, to website work, to loading boxes, pretty much everything.

Like it seems like many others here I'm looking at WGU. I've been considering the Security path instead of network admin, my certs are too old to give me any credit at this point anyway. Without any real security specific experience is this a smart move? I know everyone has to start somewhere but is the coursework really geared towards someone who has been doing security work or can it be a good transition from my general IT admin/support to security?

Thanks!