CBT Nuggets Switch Needs an Update

RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
Ugh! This is the first series I am disappointed in, 5 videos in and it's CCNA level switching. I even heard Jeremy mention the old BCMSN so i'm guessing this is extremely old.

Etherchannel and onto HSRP and CEF is good CCNP stuff but i'm shocked to see basic VLAN to STP/VTP being rehashed.
Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?

Comments

• lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    What do you expect, VLANs are VLANs and VTP is VTP icon_wink.gif

The first 2/3'rds of the SWITCH OCG book I remember being not that much harder than the CCNA as well. It's the WLAN, PVLANs, 802.1x, and other stuff that gets people on this exam.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    What I find hillarious is that I am finding this material much easier than the NA stuff. Over the last 7yrs while I have worked on Cisco gear, I had tons of grey areas in knowledge, sure I knew what VTP, STP/RSTP, HSRP, CEF is but did I fully and truly understand it all? Nah!

So far i'm glad to have went with switch first, I might sit it very soon. Going to hit the OCG when it arrives and see how it goes.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have heard in terms of difficulty. The switch exam has a lot of rehashing of CCNA topics.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • amcloneamclone Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ RouteMyPacket - I agree...

To me, it does not go into enough detail. I purchased the INE CCNP series and I am really liking it. When comparing CBT Nuggets to INE, I thought that CBT was much better for CCNA and INE seems to be much better for the CCNP. Just my opinion.
    Working on CCNP Switch.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good to know...thanks!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed I really enjoy the INE videos. I have not used it for Switch yet but the Route videos are excellent. Bryan is a tad less energetic but explains things very well.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi