Options

Got Offered a job. Need help negotiating salary.

-hype-hype Member Posts: 165
Now this is a public job - city job.

I was initially brought in to interview for a help desk position. Salary was around the entry level mark of a typical help desk position.

Now they said they were really impressed with my skills and now offered me a job supporting end users.

End User Support - Job title.

I really don't know the job description, but it sounds like a help disk 2 position. I remember them talking about doing image recoveries and upgrading systems to windows 7.

They're going to tell me my job duties and give me present a formal job offer this week.

So my question is what should I expect and what is fair for a job like this. Bare in mind, this is a PUBLIC job. And please tell me how should I go about trying to negotiate, if they low ball me. Thanks in advance.
WGU BS IT:Network Administration
Started: 10-1-13
Completed: 9-21-14
Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU

Comments

• Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I wouldn't expect much of a difference between the initial offer and the End User offer. They are essentially the same position depending on what company you work for. That said, if pay has not been discussed and you do not have a job description as of yet, I would immediately ask for a day to consider the offer once it is presented.

Even if the pay is great, you want to take a second to make sure the job description matches what you expect and want. Most places won't object to a response of: "Can I review the offer tonight and get back to you tomorrow morning?" This will give you time to consider the position, form any questions you may want to ask before accepting (instead of having to come back after the fact), and allows the opportunity to tactfully ask if the salary is negotiable.

If they say no negotiation, you can simply accept or decline based on what you decided the night before. Either way, congrats on the offer.
  • Options
    Its two separate positions. One was for a help desk where I would take calls mostly. Sometimes would be dispatched to see if I could troubleshoot the problem.

The end user position is a more hands on opportunity, one I would much prefer. They said, in the interview, one candidate was promoted after 7 months of working at the help desk job. So I am thinking the salary would be higher. Especially because the hiring manager said they would have to work out a salary since it is a different position.

I welcome this opportunity because I would be working in top 10 US city ( in terms of population). So there would always be room to grow.

I just want to know how to "tackle" the situation.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would think that the pay rate would come as part of the job offer. With my current employer, I provided them a range and they went right in the middle.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I would think that the pay rate would come as part of the job offer. With my current employer, I provided them a range and they went right in the middle.

Slightly off topic but I think the concept of ranges is ridiculous. When presented with a job offer and job description employers often ask what "salary range" you are looking for. What this represents in my opinion is

The low end - What I will take, but not be too thrilled about and you know I want more, and eventually I am going to get it from you or find it elsewhere. This number primarily exists so you can give me the middle ground and have me not feeling like you are being cheap. I may even decline the job if you come in right at the lowest end.

The middle ground - This is what I expect you to offer me and I think its fair.

The high end - Generally simply a product of what I want (middle ground) minus the low end multiplied by two, that way the middle ground ends up being where I want it.

Also the often the largest number I can justify without sounding unreasonable because if you wanted to pay me $3,000,000 I wouldn't say "I don't think so, we aren't really in the same ballpark as my salary range" like I would if you offered me $15,000.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I would hit the City's website and look on the HR page. Any big city will make all of this, including the salary range, public. I know where I live the City, the County, and the State have a listing of all classifications along with the pay grade. You almost always have to go find the PDF with salary to pay grade tables, but that should be pretty easy to find as well.

Take a look at the salary for the position you initially interviewed for and see where in the range it was - my guess is if it wasn't exactly the minimum it was no more than 10% above that so I would expect the same for whatever classification the End User Support position is.

IMHO this is not a bad time to get into public sector work. Most employees have not had raises for years so as the economy improves they will want to start making up for lost time so they can stay competitive with the private sector. This may not happen for another year or two, but I honestly believe it is coming.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Also, there may not be a raise if this is a city job. While the job description may chance it might still fall in the same "Pay Band" since city's tend to just have a few pay bands they stick jobs in rather than negotiate each one on its merits.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    MiikeB wrote: »
    ... because if you wanted to pay me $3,000,000 I wouldn't say "I don't think so, we aren't really in the same ballpark as my salary range"...

I laughed quite heartily over this statement. I agree 110% with the idea though. Just offer me what you are going to offer me and I will say yes or no. Let’s not beat around the bush.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Don't expect a lot of salary negotiation in a local government job. They may only be able to offer you the bottom of the pay grade.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I know with the county I work for they can bump up a new hire 10% from the bottom of the range with upper management approval, to go above that it gets very tricky. You have have to demonstrate a need to pay a more because a specific job needs exceptional skills or such. I was hired at about the mid-point of my salary range, but that was in 2002 with a very different economy and my salary is paid for with a very unique grant so my case was clearly the exception, not the rule.

My point about looking at where the original job's salary fit into the pay scale was to see if this particular local government was open to paying above the minimum or not. It's not a foolproof way to tell, but it's better than nothing.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Don't expect a lot of salary negotiation in a local government job. They may only be able to offer you the bottom of the pay grade.

this would be my thoughts process, I thought government jobs just had a salary set, take it or leave it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    this would be my thoughts process, I thought government jobs just had a salary set, take it or leave it
    From everything I've seen, this is the case.
  • Options
    I appreciate the feedback guys.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Purple is right here. Go to your city's website. Most city jobs list a range. It's usually based on experience, education, or being related to someone lol. Obviously, don't accept anything below the range.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    They can't offer you below the range. But note the range doesn't mean it's what you're eligible for based on your skills, experience or education. The higher number can often be the maximum pay when you reach seniority/top out. Confusing and misleading? Yes. My state does that. Once a while, the job listing will note that the applicant will have to expect to be paid the bottom.

And we're only allowed (in extremely rare cases and with upper department approval) to offer +15% from the bottom.

This is the problem with this is attracting experienced talent to government jobs and the hiring agency is tied up with what they can offer for salary. This is especially difficult in health professions and the legal field.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???