Options

Helpdesk to Systems Admin, how?

yhickfoeyhickfoe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have over 4 years experience on a 4 different helpdesks, I know it's a long time to spend in this role but during that time I left to start my own business which failed, that was a year ago and I've been in two different helpdesk roles since and really want to get out now and move forward.

I want to go the systems administrator route, can someone please tell me what certs I should get?

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Why four different help desks? On top of that 4yrs is way too long for someone who is wanting a career out of IT.

Anyway, you mentioned moving on to System Administration. Then I would lean towards a MS track, say Server 2012. Take the 70-410 exam, then you will be MCTS then you finish the other two.

You should be looking for and applying towards Desktop positions. It is highly unlikely anyone would come off a Help Desk and land a Sys Admin a job. It generally goes Help Desk->Desktop->Sys Admin
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    yhickfoeyhickfoe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why 4 helpdesks?......finished college and landed my first helpdesk role supporting external users on in house software, low pay and wasn't learning much, stayed there for a year before finding something paying much more and much more technical, stayed there for 2.5 years then left to start my own business, did that for 1.5 years. After that I found myself in a situation where I needed any job fast so I found another low pay helpdesk job to get back in the market, stayed for 4 months, then moved to my current helpdesk position for more money, I'm on £34k at this place which I know is a lot for helpdesk.

I know it's not ideal and I sure have regrets but I'm willing to work hard to where I want to go now.

Why four different help desks? On top of that 4yrs is way too long for someone who is wanting a career out of IT.

Anyway, you mentioned moving on to System Administration. Then I would lean towards a MS track, say Server 2012. Take the 70-410 exam, then you will be MCTS then you finish the other two.

You should be looking for and applying towards Desktop positions. It is highly unlikely anyone would come off a Help Desk and land a Sys Admin a job. It generally goes Help Desk->Desktop->Sys Admin
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with RouteMyPacket, I think Helpdesk > Desktop Support > Sysadmin is the way to go.

Not to say that Helpdesk > Sysadmin can't be done, but IMO Desktop support first is a more natural progression and you'll be working directly with sysadmins in the meantime which is always a good opportunity to pick their brains.

Good luck
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont get so caught up on titles though. My job title currently is "Help Desk Support" but my job entails far more than simply phone support.

I handle phones, do desktop support and dabble in system administration. I have been doing consistently more and more within my jobs over the last six years. While some may say that i have been doing this for too long, i have been uninspired to do anything for the first five years of my career to do more than collect a paycheck. I am not attending WGU and showing my current employer that investing in me is a good thing and they have shown it with a nice little raise.

If your dedicated, study and practice your trade then anything is possible.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The guys on the helpdesk where I work do far more than just helpdesk work. We are a small shop so it's like they're on the verge of being admins in a way too. All of em pretty good too.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens