Options

VTP updates to switch

steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm working on ICND2 and I am configuring VTP on switch 1 in server mode. Domain names and passwords are set on both switches. When I update switch 1 config with vlan 2 and assign interfaces to that vlan, I go back to switch 2 and see vlan 2 show up but the interfaces are still assigned to the native vlan 1?

Swtch 1 server
Swtch 2 client

I checked domain names, passwords, case sensitivity. Not sure whats going on. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Steve. VTP only sends database info on the vlans, not the port assignments that are on the server mode switch.
  • Options
    paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe that is correct the VLANs should propagate as they are, but not what interfaces they are on. That you will have to manage.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is normal behavior, the vlan is being propagated to switch 2. However the physical interfaces are kept separate from both switches. You must assign the physcial interfaces manually on both switches
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    You must assign the physcial interfaces manually on both switches

So I have to log into say, 5 different switches and manually assign the interface numbers to the newly created vlans that were recieved via vtp update?

I must have missed something in my reading. I will read over that section again but it is curious to have it designed that way. I mean, if I have to log into the switch to assign the interfaces to the vlan, why not just create the vlan as well? For the sake of another command or two. Unless I have not grasped or read far enough into the book to see that point.

Thanks for the responses

Steve
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    steve2012 wrote: »
    So I have to log into say, 5 different switches and manually assign the interface numbers to the newly created vlans that were recieved via vtp update?

I must have missed something in my reading. I will read over that section again but it is curious to have it designed that way. I mean, if I have to log into the switch to assign the interfaces to the vlan, why not just create the vlan as well? For the sake of another command or two. Unless I have not grasped or read far enough into the book to see that point.

Thanks for the responses

Steve

VTP propagates the VLANs themselves (Number, Name, etc...) Port assignments OTOH are not propagated because they can be different on each switch. For example, on SW1 I could assign Fa0/1 - Fa0/12 to VLAN 10, but on SW2, Fa0/1 - Fa0/12 could be in VLAN 20, and Fa0/13 - Fa0/18 in VLAN 10 or SW2 might not even have any ports in VLAN 10 at all. You can assign multiple ports at once by using the "interface range" command (e.g. "int range Fa0/1 - 12" followed by "switch access vlan 10" would assign 12 ports to VLAN 10).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Thanks theodoxa,

I get the whole concept of interface range and whatnot. Just thought it was supposed to also populate with the interfaces as well. The more I think about it, the more I realize why it would not be benificial to include the interfaces.

So regardless of VTP updating the switch with the vlan database, we are still required to log into each and every switch and assign interfaces to the newly updated vlans.

Thanks guys,

Steve