Options

Accredited Certifications

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been reading about ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 and I noticed that a lot of organizations offer certifications. But most have never been accredited to meet ISO standards.

I was curious if people here felt if the lack of ISO compliance for a certification detracts from the perceived value of the certification.

I suspect that ISO compliance probably doesn't matter when it comes to certifications. I am guessing that most people probably don't even realize that there is such a thing as a certification which is ISO 17024 compliant.

The list of accredited certifications and sponsoring organization is here: https://www.ansica.org/wwwversion2/outside/ALLdirectoryListing.asp?menuID=2&prgID=201&status=4

Comments

• Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    paul78 wrote: »
    I've been reading about ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 and I noticed that a lot of organizations offer certifications. But most have never been accredited to meet ISO standards.

I was curious if people here felt if the lack of ISO compliance for a certification detracts from the perceived value of the certification.

I suspect that ISO compliance probably doesn't matter when it comes to certifications. I am guessing that most people probably don't even realize that there is such a thing as a certification which is ISO 17024 compliant.

The only certifications that really make an effort to become ANSI/ISO/IEC compliant are ones which are typically vendor-neutral (ISACA, ISC2, etc). As for any value associated with it? I've never had an employer ever ask if my certifications are compliant with the ANSI or ISO/IEC specifications to date. They are more concerned about whether or not your hold the specific certification(s) that they want.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CompTIA, (ISC)2, PMI, and Cisco are accredited, and I wouldn't be surprised if DoD requirements drove most or all of them. MS appears to be headed in that direction as well, but is definitely an example of a big name missing from the list.

I don't feel that it has any direct impact on the value of the certification. RedHat and Microsoft are two examples of providers of valuable certifications that aren't 17024-accredited. The indirect impact is the military/government jobs that might not ask for them as a result. I don't see individuals looking at them differently, at least not on a significant scale, but the lost market means demand for them is reduced, at least in theory.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the comments.

@ptilsen - I noticed the same as you. I suspected that it was DoD 8570 that really drove accreditation.

I think what is interesting is that ANSI doesn't consider many of what we call certain "Certifications" as bonafide certifications.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vibration Analyst sounds like a great certification to hold - plus it is ANSI accredited, to boot: https://www.ansica.org/wwwversion2/outside/ALLdirectoryDetails.asp?menuID=2&prgID=201&orgID=118&status=4
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]