Options

The Prerequisites for the 640-554 cert is slightly unclear...

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, quick question, I was just reading the prerequisites for the 640-544 on the Cisco site which says "Any valid Cisco CCENT, CCNA Routing and Switching, or any CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite" the comma after the CCENT is a bit unclear to me... are they saying you need your CCENT AND the CCNA or do they mean CCENT OR CCNA... I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question lol thank you guys in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    It required CCNA up until now but since Cisco revised their certification track, the CCENT is enough. They beefed it up quite a lot compared to the old CCENT :D The idea is that you do not need CCNA R:S, you can bang out CCENT and head directly towards CCNA:S.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Dude that's awesome!!! but wait isn't the change going through in September or November of this year? or is the change i'm thinking of they are just changing the CCENT and CCNA exams in Sep or Nov...
  • Options
    In September they are going to retire the current versions of the exams or in other words you won't be able to take the old CCENT and CCNA thus only the new versions will be available. This is so that people who are preparing at the moment have some time to finish their preparation and take the exam instead of having to start all over again on new material. Also, the material isn't that different, they just added some things, nothing shocking as the fundamentals are the same.Nobody reinvented networks :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    hahaha very true :) but the fact still remains right? If I pass the CCENT tomorrow hypothetically speaking I can go and get the CCNA security the next day correct? and that's not going to change anytime soon?
  • Options
    Correct. The current version of CCNA Security is 640-554 like you said which is quite new - 553 was retired in September 2012. As a result it will not go away anytime soon. What will surely undergo changes is the CCNP. We don't know when it will happen, whether in a year or two but it is coming, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info man :)
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Yes, I just took the 554 exam last week with only having the CCENT and I received the CCNA Security Certification :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    That's great aj!! congrats man! how long did it take you? it's only one exam right?
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I would to go after this as well. How did it take to prepare?
  • Options
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    That's great aj!! congrats man! how long did it take you? it's only one exam right?
    Yes, CCNA Security is one exam. For preparation, I liked the ocg but what helped me more was the Cisco Networking Academy. As far as the preparation time is concerned, it depends on how much experience you have and how new to the technologies you are.