Options

How long do you say one should stay at a regular Help Desk Support role?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Was it 2 years max? What would be said about people who have spent 6-9 years? icon_cry.gif
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Leave as soon as you can get a better job. Why stay?
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Long enough so you know your current company and what you do inside and out, and I would recommend staying for at least one full year so other companies don't think you're just trying to job hop.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I think 6-9 years is waaay too much. It will probably raise questions with employers regarding why the individual in question stayed so long in this entry level job. From my experience someone like this is viewed as lacking motivation. Some people may even look at it as being unable to advance in the field. There was a story here on TE - someone was in such a role for a long time and had experience and great knowledge but was not picked for a job. The reason could very well have been something like this.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sponx wrote: »
    Long enough so you know your current company and what you do inside and out, and I would recommend staying for at least one full year so other companies don't think you're just trying to job hop.
    I dont think anyone would look down upon you for moving past helpdesk quickly. Now if you were moving Helpdesk to Helpdesk then it may raise some eyebrows.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Leave as soon as you can get a better job. Why stay?

This is my advice. Move up as soon as you can.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. Build a lab, learn, get good certs
    2. Come up with an excuse why you stayed so long(taking care of kids, etc).
    3. Move up
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Was it 2 years max?

2 years sounds about right to be in the same position. It's time to look for the next step.
    What would be said about people who have spent 6-9 years? icon_cry.gif

Looking at things objectively, I would say the person got very comfortable, has low ambition or really wasn't good enough to move upwards(not insulting you here friend, I have no idea about your situation).
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm only now about to reach about 2 years spread across 3 different places, with an obvious sign of advancement
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't focus too much on how much time you are at any job and concentrate more on what you can and cannot do. I was only on helpdesk a year because I was spending all of my free time at work and off work studying for projects I volunteered myself for along with school.

If you are doing your job and that is it, a year doing your job doesn't just create some sort of advancement opportunity due to "a year" going by.

If you are doing it for 6-9 years and are happy then so be it, you are happy. Not everybody thinks about advancement.

If a person is asking "how long should I stay" then it is obvious the person is a clock/calendar watcher and is not happy. Then 6-9 years is more about a fear of change keeping that person from seeking more opportunities.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I dont think anyone would look down upon you for moving past helpdesk quickly. Now if you were moving Helpdesk to Helpdesk then it may raise some eyebrows.

I suppose you're right, if you're moving out of Help Desk to something more long term 'career focused' in mind... Then it shouldn't be a bad thing.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)