Options

VLSM less than /24

jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
All the materials I have read on VLSM on concentrate on /24 - /30 for VLSM. What happens when you need 500 hosts? I know you would use a /23, but why does the material only seem to focus on the others. Is it because ICND2 is based on small to medium sized networks?
WGU grad

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know, but I use a /23 at home (172.16.0.0/23)...so that I can use 172.16.0.x for DHCP (Laptops, Tablet, Phone, Wii, TiVo, etc...) and 172.16.1.x for Static Addresses for things such as Servers, Cisco Equipment, and my Media Center PC.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    theodoxa wrote: »
    I don't know, but I use a /23 at home (172.16.0.0/23)...so that I can use 172.16.0.x for DHCP (Laptops, Tablet, Phone, Wii, TiVo, etc...) and 172.16.1.x for Static Addresses for things such as Servers, Cisco Equipment, and my Media Center PC.

What is your reasoning for using a /23? How do you have it cut up to justify a /23?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    All the materials I have read on VLSM on concentrate on /24 - /30 for VLSM. What happens when you need 500 hosts? I know you would use a /23, but why does the material only seem to focus on the others. Is it because ICND2 is based on small to medium sized networks?

VLSM is presented in easiest light in the textbooks, so it makes sense to use /24-/30 to do this. Check out the link below if you want more practice:

Use this website: Practice Subnet Skills: Design a VLSM Network

It will randomly generate a VLSM scenario for you. Often the VLSM address schema you'll be figuring out will be for large amounts of hosts. Its good practice!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is your reasoning for using a /23? How do you have it cut up to justify a /23?

It makes static addressing simpler by allowing me to use any number (1 - 254) in the final octet without having to worry about it conflicting with an address assigned [by DHCP] to a Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, Phone, Game Console, or Media Device.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]