Options

Confused by getting a degree or certs!

sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I need your advise by getting Certifications or Degree to land a job?icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm 25years old, completed A+ ,CCNA R&S and now I'm in the middle of CCNA Voice(it took me almost one year self study)
The thing is I talk to lot of people and they are telling me you need at least a BA degree to get a job,I want to know is it true? and how many you guys have a networking related job without having a BA degree?
Is it possible for me to find a job with my 2year AA degree in Biology and no experience?!

I like to get BA degree but my income and time doesn't let me as a married guy with no support,If I could find a job I will go after the degree but its difficult for me right now...

By the way I still haven't start posting my resume and seeking for a job,I just wanted to get sec+ and voice and after that start asking for job to get better opportunity , but some people give me negative energy and i feel I'm wasting my time(its a bad feeling)I really need your advice for choosing a path before its too late

Thanks in advance
sattar

Comments

• Options
    SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't believe those who say you need a BA to get a job. Employers are looking for experience in this field and certs are a big thing now days. I know people who have BA in other areas and can't even land a job because of all the competition in this economy. You have a 2 year degree in Biology, which shows an employer your dedicated and having certs shows them you are serious about what you are doing. You are never wasting time when it comes to certs, unless they are unrecognized ones. CCNA is known all over and it will get you interviews for sure! You can always apply for jobs and keep studying for certs, that's what I am doing. Also what kind of job are you looking for?
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My quick, general advice would be this -

1. Getting a degree is, in most cases, never a bad idea. It might not matter during the start of your career, but it likely will down the road if/when you want to advance. Better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later if you decide to do so.

2. If you want something, go for it. Nobody here can give you a solid answer to "is it possible for me to get a job if......??". Post your resume now..who knows? Maybe there's a job waiting for you that you have no way of knowing about now. Be proactive and get motivated!

3. Don't let people give you any bad vibes. Who are they to tell you what you can/cannot do? Take advice and listen, but stay focused on where you want to end up.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sattar wrote: »
    The thing is I talk to lot of people and they are telling me you need at least a BA degree to get a job,I want to know is it true?

Nope. Do most Starbucks baristas have degrees? Obviously, a degree often leads to more and better options when it comes to job roles and salaries, especially an in-demand degree and/or a degree from an in-demand University. In case you argue you don't want to be a barista, I know successful business owners and technical folks without any degree. However, I know far more successful folks with a degree, including all my colleagues. The value isn't limited to the piece of paper you walk away with.
    I like to get BA degree but my income and time doesn't let me as a married guy with no support
    Loans and payment plans can help fund going to college part-time.

A good degree is an investment, and you will recoup the amount you spend many times over.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I spend so much time reading LinkedIn Now and this topic comes up a lot. The recent trend is that more and more people are getting BS/BA degrees which actually devalue their ability to make your resume stand out. People who really want to stand out get Master's and higher.

In the certification world, if you've never worked with the technologies covered in CCNA (for example) you're actually doing yourself a disservice. Generally speaking, experience will always trump all for dedicated tech work but you'll probably lose a management position to an MBA. So you can see where certification won't help against people with experience.

While how you do it is unique to everyone the magical formula is basically find yourself in an entry level position and pro actively work towards degrees and certification that align with your career goals. Of course it gets complicated when you have a family though, so its easy for me to say.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to go ahead and get an IT job now, don't wait another 1-2 years to get the certifications that you think you need. Your first job is going to be pretty much the same entry level type of position, no matter how many more certs you get. You need technical job experience and experience working in an "IT culture" so to speak. Keep working on the certs, but you should be looking for IT experience now, rather than later.

I disagree that a 4 year degree is required, though I think it will be very helpful in the future if you have one. It may not fit in to your life right now, but you should plan to fit it in, if you can.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with blargoe 100%.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I've been in IT since 1995. My BA has never came up in an interview. If it did it was because myself and the recruiter or interviewer went to the same college or it was related to football or basketball as I went to a big NCAA school. I rank finding a job based on Experience, Certs, Professionalism/Appearance, then maybe a BA. For management a BA/Grad degree is appropriate.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll be the one to say it, you'll need both to succeed and move around in IT. With a lack of experience, my degree was what got me my first job. My degree has opened more doors then any of the certs I have or have held. In my area, almost all of the job postings have a minimum of a BA/BS with no experience as an alternative. My buddy contacted me about a year ago to see if my company was hiring or if I knew of anyone who was. He works for a school district and the lack of a BS was preventing him from getting a better raise. Also, his contributions to his pension and benefits went up so he was feeling the squeeze. My company might have looked at him due to his experience, but it would have been tough.

Education is cheaper and more convenient then ever. You can do it online while still holding down a job and all at some really good institutions. Also, you don't have to do anything to maintain your degree. Once you got it, it's yours. The one thing people tend to forget about a degree is it isn't just all technical courses. Yes that will be a large part of it, but you also get some liberal arts classes that help you to reason and think. What is the point of having technical knowledge if you can't speak to people at their level? College will teach you that. I've met a number of technical people who very extremely bright, but not successful because they couldn't articulate their ideas.

So if it were me, get the degree then worry about the certs (or do them at the same time). The biggest thing in IT is your thought process and the logic you use to solve a problem. College will teach you how to think, experience will teach you what the problem is.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    the_Grinch is absolutely correct.

Speaking from experience, I had a very tough time finding a job when I got laid off in 2009 due to my lack of degree. I had some certifications, and some experience but was unable to find a decent job. At that point i settled into a job because there was nothing else available, but I also started college and have since obtained my degree, and the difference is night and day. As others have stated, it is not easy, but do plan to get your degree. It will pay off sooner rather then later.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My advice is to matrix this all out. Determine what certs matter to you. Determine what degree is essentially required to be in the place you want to end up in a couple of years. Find a degree program that tries to align these goals, or review a "tiered" approach - with each potential degree up the chain (associates, bachelors, maybe masters) as a short-term destinatation. If you can focus on something that hits muliple areas simulatenously, the overall work has been condensed into something you're more likely to succeed at. You can work hard, or even chip away at that main goal, while hitting some of the sub-goals on your journey.

Worked well for me...always have a destination (goal) and the journey is the fun part (learning). When you reach the destination, you'll be shocked at how far you've come.
  • Options
    jeepster78jeepster78 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certs are great for getting a job and sometimes advancement however think of them as having a best used by date, I know a guy in help desk that got his MCSE back in the server 2000 days and has never stayed up to date on technology. A degree never expires and can be used for career changes and moving into management.

Remember only roughly 30% of college graduates work in a field related to their major and at some point you might want a break or career change away from IT. I know a CS major who is now a HR manager, his certs didn't help him get the job however having a bachelors degree was a requirement for the job icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with blargoe 100%.

Same! Get your feet wet ASAP
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really appreciate you all for the time you put to answer my question you guys are great:)

By reading all your comments and searching the net I come to conclusion that the first thing is to have experience at first,I search for jobs and I see most of them want the real experience even few of them doesn't care about degree!
    or they say 4 year degree or equivalent experience
    I think:
    Certs only = no good
    Cert + Degree = no good
    Cert + Experience = Good
    Cert + Degree + Experience = Perfect

I will take my CCNA Voice exam and after that will try to find the job because I already finished 80% of the book plus working on my home lab,and as many said degree is also a great thing to have but not required,maybe it could help if i had one as a fresher or in the future it going to help in my career,it is really beneficial in some aspects to have that degree,I'll definitely go college after I land the job while gaining experience from the job I will register for college and also study for the certs,its hard but its possible

@SlayerX
    Thanks for your reply,any job role,help desk,noc...
    something that can get me into IT world and count as experience in my resume

And again thanks to all of you for your opinions and reply i will ask my questions during the process of finding job icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sattar wrote: »
    Cert + Degree = no good
    A degree plus an associate-level certification is worth about $60,000 in today's economy.
    Certs only = no good
    And a CCNA alone has gotten several forum members started.

It's all good if it takes you where you want. :)
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    blargoe wrote: »
    I disagree that a 4 year degree is required, though I think it will be very helpful in the future if you have one. It may not fit in to your life right now, but you should plan to fit it in, if you can.

Agree with this. I do not have a degree (I'm 23) but I have been moderately successful with my entry level jobs. I have taken the time to get certifications and hope to land a better position so I can finally buy a house. Once that is done, I fully intend on reviewing WGU and local schools and getting the education thing done.

I hear all the time that a degree is an absolute must to make it in the world, but I think (based on my experience) that IT is a little bit different. It will never hurt, but until you start going after management level IT positions (or perhaps state, gov, university) it won't make a huge difference. All I see is 2 year degree or equivalent work experience. To get your foot in the door, you should be fine.

**EDIT**
    Above I state I am moderately successful, to elaborate on my opinion of moderately successful: I have worked for 2 Fortune 500 companies, I currently make more than my friends who have 4 year degrees for the most part, I don't have any debt and wouldn't if I start going to school (thanks to tuition reimbursement). I am not saying a degree is useless and I do wish I had taken care of it right after High School, but in my perspective my friends have not been any better or worse than I currently am without a degree. AND, added bonus because I will not pay a dime once I start!*

*(minus books, applicable taxes, etc etc.)
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I think a combination of certifications and a degree is best in IT. My experience leads me to believe that just certifications will get you further faster than just a degree but once you have the degree it really propels you to another level in employers eyes.

I was making $70,000 a year with my GED and MCSE after 4 years. Shortly after updating my resume with my degree and 2 more years of experience I got a job paying $115,000.

I am about done with my MBA. I don't think it increases my top level earning potential too much but it does bring in more job offers at that level as well as give me the opportunity to move in to management. Even while pursuing my MBA though I am studying for certifications because I believe a combination is best.

I'm 25 now, I'm hoping by 30 to be able to say BS-IT, MBA, MSISA, Graduate Certificate in Infosec, VCP, CISSP and MCSE with maybe CCNA thrown in just because I want to learn it. I think that will be a killer combination.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know a lot more successful people with certs and no degree than with a degree and no certs.

jeepster78 wrote: »
    I know a guy in help desk that got his MCSE back in the server 2000 days and has never stayed up to date on technology. A degree never expires and can be used for career changes and moving into management.
    A degree in Network Administration attained in 2000 would be similarly useless in terms of relevant content if you don't keep up with the technology.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I was making $70,000 a year with my GED and MCSE after 4 years. Shortly after updating my resume with my degree and 2 more years of experience I got a job paying $115,000.

Right, but haven't you been doing overseas jobs? Changes the context a lot.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Right, but haven't you been doing overseas jobs? Changes the context a lot.

This was prior to my job in Afghanistan. I wouldn't dare try to compare that to anything.

I do love when recruiters try to ask me what I am making now though. I just say "Lets just say they pay me a lot listen to gunshots and bombs go off."
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm right behind you in the education/certification plan. On the dual MS then MBA plan. I have to stay in the tech context, I like it too much, but the management stuff is interesting me way more than dedicated tech work so I'm looking into certification like PMP down the line (only 23 right now).

Gotta get that CEO 10k/day level.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Polynomial wrote: »

Gotta get that CEO 10k/day level.

Real go-getters hold out for the 12k with holiday pay.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An A+ and CCNA are more then enough to get a 1st IT job. You might even start off better then the typical helpdesk/desktop support role. You don't want to get into the issue of having lots of certs with 0 exp. HR might start guessing as to why you haven't landed a job yet and pass you over. Getting a degree down the line wouldn't be a bad thing to go along with your certs and new exp. Remember that IT is a growing monster and continued education is the only way to stay in front of it.
  • Options
    jeepster78jeepster78 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know a lot more successful people with certs and no degree than with a degree and no certs.

A degree in Network Administration attained in 2000 would be similarly useless in terms of relevant content if you don't keep up with the technology.

Wrong, look at how many jobs out there simply require a degree to even apply.