Options

Did you start at Helpdesk

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
Was your first IT job helpdesk? If not, what made you so special!

Comments

• Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started at help desk. :)
  • Options
    CorzaCorza Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO every good IT person started at helpdesk, and yes i did.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did too, in 2006. ISP tech support gig, graveyard shift from midnight to 9am. Turned into an owl within a month. Lasted only 3 months, couldnt take the abuse and the crazy hours.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I started in 1998 collecting pc information for Y2K and then moved into help desk. Not answering phones but walking around fixing issues.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    edzyyyedzyyy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Easy tech for staples.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Started as a Network/Sys admin. I have a really big brain.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Nope, web designer then jack of all trades support role for SMB, moved into sys admin year later been there since
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't start at helpdesk, though i have had to serve some time there. I started off as the peon at a small mom-and-pop systems intergrator. An intern. I spent a few months tearing apart and putting back together old computers, riding along with someone else when a house call was required, and got the crap work like running cables and sitting through the endless clicking OK on all the errors during in place upgrades of SBS 4 to SBS 2000 while the rest of the crew went to lunch.

I actually struggled greatly for a few months, then one day, I just started to "get it" and I was fine, and was eventually entrusted with more responsibility. Years later, the owner told me that he had planned to fire me and find someone else before I finally caught on and startd to take off. I sometimes wonder how differently my life would have turned out if he hadn't taken the chance on me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    I started as Staples Easy Tech, then went to a help desk phone support, then a call center, then finally to desktop / deskside support walking around helping people. Loved that job, but lost it due to budget cuts. Now thinking of getting out of IT as it seems to be all contract work and I can't spend the next four out of ten years unemployed looking for work...maybe I'm just not looking in the right places...
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I started off at Help Desk as a student worker at my college. When I graduated I got on full time and did that for a few years while increasingly taking on sys admin duties which led to my current job as a linux/Windows sys admin.

I appreciate the troubleshooting, customer service, and wide range of skills I learned at the Help Desk icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also think it depends on when you got into IT. Back "in the day" job qualifications were not so ridiculous. It is not as easy to get into entry level IT now IMHO.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in my first IT gig. I work in a smaller company that has a fairly large range of duties. I was hired to travel and configure our server software for new clients, but when I'm not traveling, I'm taking support calls. I would say my luck in landing the job had to do with the current pursuit of an IT degree and certifications.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Started at Staples "EasyTech Lead" or whatever it's called now... Then was solo doing basic systems administration for a radio station, then landed a Desktop Support position, and now I am in a IT project management/desktop support role.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I started as a help desk technician, 3 months afterwards I was promoted to manage the same team for another 9 months, and then I moved on to system administration role :)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did not, and a degree. Most of my colleagues never worked at a help desk for similar reasons.
    Corza wrote:
    IMO every good IT person started at helpdesk, and yes i did.
    I am a "good IT person". If your bias were typical in the IT world, I would've done a short stint at the helpdesk, but carriers, ISPs, and vendors really prefer relevant experience, certifications, education, etc. Bypass low-paid grunt work if you can! :)

You can learn a great deal from working with people who can't find the "power" button on their PC, but you can learn even more from working with people who can't get their network to converge fast enough. Both jobs afford you opportunities to communicate with both laymen and techies, but the latter affords you opportunities to hone more relevant technical skills.
  • Options
    mogeekdadmogeekdad Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually started as a printer tech, then did warranty work on PCs and servers. After that I learned a little about severs and then got dropped into an onsite contract where I was a one man show responsible for everything. I learned so much there...after that I grew the department and had a report. Now am at a different company with 1 report. Getting ready to start my MBA at WGU so I can move up the management chain.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Started at the desk (phone calls all day/no walking around) and stayed for two and half years while I obtained certs and a BS degree.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I started on Help Desk because even then I understood the importance of just getting my foot in the door. Within a few months I was off an on site at a client location.

I also agree that those who worked Help Desk tend to have better CS skills then those who didn't. Also, you develop better tracking skills when it comes to ticketing systems from working on a HD.

You have to start somewhere and there is absolutely nothing wrong with Help Desk because those with a vision and will to succeed use it for what it is, an opportunity.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently working for a company in their MIS department. Its a good learning experience and helping me develop patience with people who are clueless.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too started as a help desk tech. Did that for 2 years and moved into a Tier 1 Network Infrastructure Monitoring position monitoring a big corporate network for a year. I now manage the group of engineers I worked as but look to get further into technical stuff and hope to join the ranks of an engineering role in time.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hardware repair. Flat out enjoyed learning how a computer operates directly...oh yeah, completed a lot of tickets too.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Worked for 6 months as a Technician for my university when I was 19, then after I graduated my first job was an Intranet Co-ordinator.

I did pure helpdesk for a month then went into Installation and Support. After that I did Intranet Co-ordinating again, then became a Sys-Admin so "kinda" did helpdesk :D
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Was on the desk for ~ 2 years. It was helpful no question about it.
  • Options
    DNMDNM Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started out doing Desktop/Laptop warranty repairs for Dell and IBM customers. Ended up quitting that to work as an onsite technician for a small local business the owner ran out of his house. I got my big break doing desktop support for a pretty legit company. Now I am a Network Technician for that same company.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    I started my career working on a help desk for a small IT contracting company and it was the hardest two years that I've spent, to date, in IT. That said, the experience benefited me immensely from a troubleshooting perspective. I've applied the same troubleshooting methodology I learned on the desk, successfully, in countless scenarios in different roles ranging from network engineer to auditor. Those of you who are still on the desk, I encourage you to take heart. Whether you realize now or not, the skills and the experience you're picking up will serve you well in subsequent roles.
  • Options
    mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep. Started in Help desk, and stayed there for about 6 months before moving on to a NOC
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Curious to find out what important skills you learn at a helpdesk that they shape the rest of your IT career.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Dealing with nasty people, I guess? :)
    Kind of reminded me of an interview I saw on youtube:
    - How well do you handle stress and people yelling at you?
    - My mom yelled at me all the time so I guess I can handle that :)
  • Options
    tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started in desktop support in a hospital of about 8000 PCs. I was there for almost two years, and moved from a contracting desktop support tech, to a full time desktop engineer (SCCM -- OSD, software packaging/deployment, reporting and AV, Encryption, etc). Left there and am now a SysEngineer working for a consulting firm working with enterprise clients. I work with Microsoft technologies (System Center, virtualization) and related.

I avoided helpdesk at all costs!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Started as a Desktop Support/Jr Sys Admin.