Options

Resume help please

edzyyyedzyyy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was working as a dell field tech for a couple months, but was let go due to downsizing in November. Been searching for an entry level position ever since with zero luck.

To be honest, i don't have much networking experience. I have a network at home with a desktop, 3 laptops, and a wireless printer..but networking in an office environment is a different animal.

I also don't have any MAC experience which seems to be what employers are asking for now..even in level 1 positions.

I made the mistake of not networking on the job, and it's kicking me in the rear right now

Anything you guys would fix on here?

Or any advice in general?
8MwR1cv.png

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's too hard to read. Attach it as a PDF file.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trim the fat. Don't list duties that don't relate to your career goals. Also, don't list that you stayed up-to-date by completing training modules. Don't mention the Windows 9x operating systems. Those are very archaic and knowing them isn't considered really useful anymore.Move Education up before Community Service. If I were you, I would change the Community Service to Volunteer Work.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Attach as a pdf
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Won't let me upload as a pdf for some odd reason

Keep getting an invalid file popup.

Here's a link to the png http://i.imgur.com/Lodc2wW.png while i figure out the pdf

edit

My allowed filetypes don't allow pdf
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off there are Grammar and Flow issues. I would get rid of half of the irrelevant info like CD, CD-R, and Old Windows Versions.

Also when you apply for a position, you'll want to make your resume fits the listing the best you can. Cookie cutter resume won't cut it now days. Hiring managers are looking to save time on resume's. Make your resume hard to pass on, layout and flow is a biggie.

On the Mac experience thing, sometimes local library's will have a Mac back in a corner somewhere. I started out using a Mac at our local library, then I bought one because I enjoyed using the one in the library.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would reword your current employment, especially point 3.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

Shaved off as much fat as I could

Maybe a lil too much? http://i.imgur.com/iPFATBV.png

Still need to do a little reworking & reworking
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also get your hands into different software. I hate Windows 8, and doubt that any Big corporations will push in that direction right now. But I am going after Windows 8 support cert, because it's there and a lot of techs will pass because they hate it. The more you know about relevant stuff that other techs don't want to mess with or don't have the time to mess with, the more it will pay off in the long run. Five years ago when I bought my first Mac I had other techs laughing about it. It's fine let them laugh, by the way they aren't laughing now.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    vaguemediavaguemedia Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you get it down to one page? There's a lot there. I understand that you've got experience. That's great. Unfortunately most people skim through resumes. If it's too long, then I personally won't take the time to read it all if I already don't know or have an interest in you.
    Ditch all the stuff about the name brands of PC hardware. They're all about the same to me. Dell, HP...blah blah. They're just logos on a likely Windows based machine.
    Please remove the part about DOS, Windows 95, and 2000. It's a good way to rule you out for age discrimination. I don't know how old you are, but if you're listing Windows 95 as a technical skill...that's going to set off some alarms that you're older than what they are looking for. Age discrimination is a fact of life in IT. Plus, those operating systems haven't been relevant within the last decade. You should only list XP and later.
    Ditch most of the hardware stuff. Especially the redundant optical drive information. Find a way to say you have strong skills troubleshooting and installing PC hardware. You've got too much there, and I feel like I'm re-reading the A+ objectives that they never tested me on. ha.
    It seems like you're light on software side. You might want to focus more on your understanding of business applications. You know how to use and configure office, right? Understand Outlook? IE? Include it.
    How about something related to networking? Basic A+ stuff even. Command prompt trouble shooting, wireless technologies, SOHO networks..ect. Those are in demand skills that you probably have, but you're not listing them.
    Three to four(max) bullets for the job descriptions/responsibilities. That's more than enough. If they want to know more, they will ask in the interview.
    The formatting looks good. Get rid of the border(that's just my opinion, keep it if you like it).