Options

Get a job on LinkedIn?

SlayerXSlayerX Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone here had success getting a job using Linkedin.com? I always read how its supposed to be the way of getting a job.
If so, I want to know how its done :)

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been contacted a couple of time via LinkedIn, it's only beginning to catch the attention of recruiters and managers here in Australia. Over in the US, I'm sure it's extensively used.

I think they just do a search and if you show up high on the list (I say high because a generic search may yield hundreds of hits) , they call ya.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've gotten a few calls from LinkedIn also so it is being used as a recruiting tool.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On a weekly to daily basis, I get job offers - for IT security/audit/risk positions local in the area.

I'm happy with where I am, so I don't respond... but it shows the value of having a good Linkedin profile.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get pinged regularly on LinkedIn. Usually ignore most of them.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My profile isn't all that whatsoever and I get at least one inquiry per week...
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I get several contacts a week asking for me to take up contractual positions. Sometimes they have some decent offers, otherwise it's just mostly for contract based positions. However, when I have my "advice to connecting with..." filled out to show interest on moving into a different career, or company... I get more suitable offers. It really depends mostly on how you design/fill your profile, the words you use, the content, the maturity of the profile, etc... That gets you what you may want to take from LinkedIn.

It's a solid foundation none the less.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get at least a dozen credible inquiries from LinkedIn every month. Some contract, some perm, some local, some would require relocation, some want everything but the kitchen sink for a low salary, and some look like a great situation for the right person.

It's definately a tool you should be using, and it is currently the best "passive" way to be seen without actively seeking out opportunities.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I seem to get contacted when I am working and not looking for a job usually.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I seem to get contacted when I am working and not looking for a job usually.

Sad , but true. That's how it always works out icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a linkedin profile but I haven't touched it in forever, still from the freelancing days. I should add the stuff I'm working on now and the certs as I pick them up, thanks for the reminder!
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The result will match the effort you put into it. Read about how to improve your profile. Scrutinize the small stuff, but make sure it's accurate and a good assessement of your ability. Continually work on it!

The more I work on it and connect to local people, the more I open local opporuntities I was unaware of (and some have been very promising). I originally kept it at people I strongly knew in person, but it was not providing much further than what I already knew. Once I opened up a bit more, networked more, and worked on my LinkedIn profile strategically, it's becoming a very valuable tool.

In summary: effort = reward.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone actually paying for the premium version ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been contacted several times. Nothing that got me excited to move as of yet :)
  • Options
    MechsMechs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey OP

I actually used LinkedIn to get a new role I'm starting in a few weeks. It's in InfoSec and a LARGE US company which I'm really excited about. But use the job search and good luck!

edit* Make sure your profile is correct, grammatically on point and FULL. As surely the recruiter will check your profile since you applied through there
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm contacted pretty frequently on LinkedIn. Some are just recruiters trying to increase their network, but most are for specific positions. I just ignore them, but I'm pretty confident I could get a job just on LinkedIn if I were to open myself up.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been contacted before from employers that found my resume on LinkedIn. Never got a job from them though