Options

Should i take this job if i got it offered and leave my fte?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
My ultimate goal is to get into network and/or data center, current position is Service Desk analyst as a full time employee w/ benefits However I dont like where I am at and looking to go elsewhere

I posted my resume on careerbuilder and got this reply for a position, however its only for one year

Job Description:
· Able to rotate backup tapes.
· Basic understanding of tape libraries
· On-site technical assistance and troubleshooting
· Equipment installations and configurations
· Ladder racking, pre-wiring of patch panels and equipment
· Interface card removal, installation and configuration
· Testing media for continuity and proper signaling
· Providing visual verifications to assist in remote troubleshooting
· Power cycling a router, server, switch and soft-booting a server
· Adding, removing or verifying a demarcation

Sounds like a mixture position working in a data center and desktop support which would be great in my caraeer path, only problem is that it is 1 year

Should I go for it anyways to get the experience??? hopefully by the time this contract ends i'll have my CCNA, my goal is to get it by the september deadline and then i can start applying for real networking positions

thanks for your input techexams!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You say nothing about your current role or the respective salaries. If it pays about the same or better than you're paid now, and you want to get into IT, it's a no-brainer to take the plunge. Provided you work hard and earn a CCNA it shouldn't be too hard to find follow-up opportunities, and worst-case, go back to doing something similar to what you do now.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Looks like a 'dumb hands' position to me. I'd pass if you are wanting something more technical.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    current position is Service Desk analyst as a full time employee w/ benefits However I dont like where I am at and looking to go elsewhere

i am not sure about how much the new role would pay, i would guess around the same, will find out soon after i talk to the recruiter

my current position is a dumb hands as well - bunch of password resets and creating tickets
  • Options
    Looks like a 'dumb hands' position to me. I'd pass if you are wanting something more technical.

I agree with Networker that it reads like a dumb-hands position. I just see experience with cabling and transceivers as positive experience, especially if you don't have any certifications or educations to qualify you for a more interesting position.
  • Options
    So this wouldn't be a good start into networking if i have no networking expierence? Should stick where im at with the service desk?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would get more info. It looks like there is some chance you'd actually be configuring things independently or with limited direction. It could definitely be a step in the right direction. If not, I would pass. Not much sense in making a lateral move, especially at that level. A long time in two different "dumb hands" positions is even worse than a long time in one.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Pay rate is the same
  • Options
    I don't think the experience will be applicable just from what I've read here. The people that usually do these types of positions are basically just site techs and not actually working on anything technical. It would most likely be a lot of calls to power cycle, swap hardware etc. The most technical thing you will probably do is ensure remote access works.

It's not bad work and I don't mean to sound demeaning if I am, but not really on the track to getting you into an engineering type position.
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote:
    my current position is a dumb hands as well - bunch of password resets and creating tickets
    Ahh, this is new information. You're already in IT! In that case, I'm with ptilsen and networker that you should focus on a vertical move rather than a lateral one. A CCNA doesn't take very long for most people if you're motivated to earn it.
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »

That is not dumb hands in the same sense. Think of it as if you called someone and walked them through what you do now. That person would be the dumb hands.
  • Options
    Now i feel dumb :p lol thanks