Options

Not sure what exam I should aim for

captaincrash4captaincrash4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I was supposed to be studying last year but due to my son having surgery etc my plans went wayward and I now find myself in the position of uncertainty on which exam to go for (If i actually get the motivation to follow through this time icon_rolleyes.gif).

I have no experience in Networking but I want to move out of Office Administration and into something more technical and after reading up on Networking I thought it sounded interesting. I am currently a stay at home dad and my "idea" is to get qualified and get an entry level position and take things from there. I want to be ready to get into looking for work next spring but with the new exams coming in September i'm not sure which route to go for as I just don't know if I will be ready in time to do it for September.

I still have my basic Lab/Material consisting of

Routers: 2621, 2620 & 2612
Switches: 2924 x2 & 2950

Odom's CCENT Third Edition
Lammle's CCNA Seventh Edition
Old CBT Nuggets
Boson Netsim
Boson CCNA Exam

I was thinking of starting next week and just going through the current material and if I feel ready I will go for ICND 1 and see how much time I have or should I just get the new exam books and go for the new exam and take the pressure off myself as I didn't plan on starting up until July.

Also from what I gather my "old" study material will be good for the new exam and all I will need to do is fill the gaps that the new exam covers and everything should be good or am I missing something?

I just need to knuckle down and actually read the books as I loved CBT nuggets but reading books is not my ideal way of learning but I know I have to so I can make progress. I find myself longing to get out of Administration but I am also aware that I have no experience in Networking and if there isn't much need for another newbie then I might be worth while focusing on getting some certs that will help me in the World of Administration like MOS etc. Either way i'm starting my career over when I go back to work but all my experience is in Admin and with the current downturn in the job market in the UK i'm trying to work out what my best course of option is......

Any input will be helpful as I have no idea if I should study for the CCNA as a Newbie (not sure for potential entry level employment) or Study for going back to Admin (I'm not thrilled about it but its half decent)!

Cheers icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shoot for the old ICND1 as you already have the materials. When the time comes for ICND2, you will be able to gauge your level of preparedness and determine whether to do the old or new ICND2 to complete the CCNA.

See: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/54786
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agreed. Go after current CCENT. Though you do not like reading, perhaps your better half can read the book aloud and record it so it can be converted into MP3? That way you can listen to the material anytime, or listen along as you go through the book(s)?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the the old ccent test. Will be way easier to study for. The new ccent has many topics from icnd2 on it.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    captaincrash4captaincrash4 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies! I think as of next week i'm going to start watching through CBT Nuggets and try and focus on ICND1. With regards to the other half reading it, when I told her she burst out laughing........icon_lol.gif It has given me the idea of reading the book aloud while recording it and I can review it easier and that way I'm not just reading the material, I'm interacting with the material so to speak so it might help my retention of the material. I've dusted the old routers and switches (hope they still work icon_wink.gif) and I've located all my books (I also found CCNA Exam Cram) and I think my aim will be a for around the end of July/August to get the CCENT. I'm going to try and book the exam this time so I have a deadline and it still gives me a small window if I need to resit the ICND1 if needed.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Hi mate, I hope you're son is fine now. I find it helpful to stick a calender on the wall, and write how many hours of what you did each that day. That way if I'm watching too many tutorials I can beef up the reading/labbing the next day.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Totally forgot. INE.com has free Cisco videos. Will come in handy when studying for ICND2
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs