Options

Packet tracer lab 3.5.2: subnets aren't talking to each other

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196

pka-31 lab 3.5.2.pka.doc

Basically I have network address 192.168.9.0/24. I need to divide them into 7 subnets, which I did. But the subnets aren't talking to each other (ping from any PC to any IP in another subnet would fail). I think I need to add static routes for other not-connected networks on each router, but the Paket Tracer Lab doesn't ask me to do that. So I'm wondering if I did my subnetting correctly. Thanks.

I divide the address into the following 7 subnets:
192.168.9.0 - 31 /27 HQ LAN
192.168.9.32 - 63 /27 WAN Serial
192.168.9.64 - 95 /27 WAN Serial
192.168.9.96 - 127 /27 Branch1 LAN
192.168.9.128 - 159 /27 Branch1 LAN
192.168.9.160 - 191 /27 Branch2 LAN
192.168.9.192 - 223 /27 Branch2 LAN

Again, if you can look into my Pakcet Tracer file, the file name has ".doc" at the end so I can upload. delete that please. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    busines4ubusines4u Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not checked your subnetting in its entirety but I did look over the config's on the router and the PC's. You need to add default gateway's to your Client PC's so they now how to get off of the local network. You also need to setup routing either via static routes or a dynamic routing protocol so each router is aware of how to reach the different subnets.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know what the objectives of the lab are but your IP addresses all seem properly assigned. However, you did not assign the default gateways to the PC's but that does not seem to be the only problem with the lab.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You know, if you click "Check Results" and click on "Assessment Items" it shows you what you have incomplete. In this case your IP addressing scheme seems to be all wrong for what the activity expects, and you don't have default gateways set on any of the PCs.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pka-31 lab 3.5.2.pka.doc

I think I need to add static routes for other not-connected networks on each router, but the Paket Tracer Lab doesn't ask me to do that. So I'm wondering if I did my subnetting correctly.

Correct.

You can add the static routes using the command line.(CLI) This will become second nature to you as you progress with your studies.

Example Router1(config)#ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 exit interface or next hop address..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    You know, if you click "Check Results" and click on "Assessment Items" it shows you what you have incomplete. In this case your IP addressing scheme seems to be all wrong for what the activity expects, and you don't have default gateways set on any of the PCs.

Yes I know that. I was fooling around to see what effects different configurations might have. In the beginning I thought the IP and subnets have to assigned exactly as the instruction tells me to do, but I found out it really doesn't matter when assigned the IP addresses randomly to each network.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wasn't sure if you were doing these for a class or for fun. When I did the CCNA Discovery program we actually had to hand these in with 100% completion on the tasks, which meant using the addressing scheme the activities called for and so on. I just wanted to make sure you were aware.