How much time or days do you prepare for RHCE?

remd234remd234 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got RHCSA on 29 Mar and I have stuided for RHCE.

I failed RHCE test once this month. I'd like to know How i prepare efficient way to study RHCE.

And also have a subject question "How much time or days do you prepare for RHCE?"

If you have usuful information site, advice or materials for RHCE study, please reply for me and other people Thanks.

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I generally take the exam objectives and ensure I can do them all before taking an exam.

RHCE exam objectives.

The length of preparation time is dependent on your bandwidth and previous experience.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • remd234remd234 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I already know. but I want to need more detail information.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    It depends on your motivation and your experience.

Just to give you a dose of motivation, I know a guy who was fresh out of college with zero Linux knowledge, he studied for RHCE for one month and passed. He did it, you can do it :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    took me 3.5 intensive months.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    UnixGuy wrote: »

Just to give you a dose of motivation, I know a guy who was fresh out of college with zero Linux knowledge, he studied for RHCE for one month and passed. He did it, you can do it :)

UnixGuy, I trust you, but that is very hard to believe. I have worked Unix and Linux for years, but there are a lot of subjects I have barely touched, like LDAP and DNS.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    brownwrap wrote: »
    UnixGuy, I trust you, but that is very hard to believe. I have worked Unix and Linux for years, but there are a lot of subjects I have barely touched, like LDAP and DNS.

It took me well over 4-5 months to finish it with 4 years of experience myself. The guy is more of an exception than the norm, he was fresh out of college (unemployed) and dedicated an entire month for it. I reckon he had some linux software development exposure in college. Maybe he was a good test taker, I don't know :)

I'm not saying it's an easy exam, it is a pretty challenging exam, and I've read posts online about people with 10 years of experience who failed the first time. I'm just trying to say that the time it take to study the material depends on motivation & experience/knowledge.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting topic. So what would be a realistic timeframe for someone with lots of Windows systems administration experience and good basic Linux skills to prepare for RHCE? I'm trying to switch from Windows / Vmware to more Linux / Vmware admin role, but not sure if potential employers would take me seriously because of my mostly Windows background... Hopefully passing the RHCE will help a bit, eh?

PS I plan to allocate about 2 hours for reading / labbing daily and maybe a little more on the weekend.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »

I have to say that is pretty inspirational, Hopefully I can pass this on my next try.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • chownwwwchownwww Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you passed RHCSA, you can study RHCE topics within a month. This 2 hours exam is a challange. So you need to practise command and have the ability to troubleshoot within a short period. I referred Jang RHCE v6 book to learn subject and used 2-3 Virtual machines by using VBox. Make sure you practise well with IPtables and Selinux with applications.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took me a year to complete RHCSA + RHCE together, but that was due to real life stuff keeping me from achieving it earlier. it is doable in 5 months (both)
  • thegreenlaanternthegreenlaantern Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reading the RHCE chapters, to me, was a little dry compared to the RHCSA chapters (could have to do with getting my second wind after the first round). I took all of the Titles and bulleted RHCE Objectives and made a To-do list. Created a Test Lab and figured out what config options/firewall/Selinix settings it took to implement the Objectives. It took a few times through because some tasks I thought it was one thing I modified to get it working, but was actually a different setting that made it work. Before I was ready to go in for the test I could complete the bulleted objectives without referring to my notes.
  • masterelfymasterelfy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I decided about 4 weeks ago, when I read about the trends in IT. I decided its time to jump from MS to Linux. I have 20+ years in IT, I got the Ashgar, Gori book. I read it, practiced a little. I signed up for a RHCE course, I took that ( see my post). I passed both on my first attempts. Once I got into the "flow" of it, things started clicking and cross referencing.
  • tstanststans Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude did you take the exams? Are the questions thesame as in your first attempt?