Options

Regarding console connection

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, i need to know something looking odd. Once any cisco device are connected to a computer(using terminal emulation software) to access the CLI of it first time by pulling a console cable between them, whats the direction of information flowing?

For instance, once i type 'en', am i sending this word to that specific device or gathering from it to display?

notice: during ping or telnet or other remote access methods, our computer gathers the information from that device as a reply message. but, what about console connection
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both directions. You are sending commands to the router and the router is sending text (to display) back to the computer.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Both directions. You are sending commands to the router and the router is sending text (to display) back to the computer.
    This sounds right. Which is why telnet and ssh are considered logical connections and require a separate command for syslog messages to be sent to the terminal.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, there exists again request and reply thingy. We request the command from the device and it delivers that command to us so that we can display it on the screen. right?

i appreciate your approach to my question and thus giving you reputation for this (you deserved it.):D:D
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    So, there exists again request and reply thingy. We request the command from the device and it delivers that command to us so that we can display it on the screen. right?

i appreciate your approach to my question and thus giving you reputation for this (you deserved it.):D:D
    Thank you sir!