Options

The 1721/2520 router still good for CCNA exam lab?

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm just starting my ICND2 exam reading. I am taking version 1.1 because that is the material I bought before the new exams were announced. Instead of buying new study material I am going to see this through. That being said, I am looking to get some hardware. I currently have a 2950G switch and am looking to add a router or two. The sticky up top said a 1721 or 2520 router will do all the CCNA exam asks. Is that still true or has that information been dated? Just curious because I'm looking at prices on these routers and they aren't too bad. However, there doesn't seem to be any mentioned of IOS version.

Comments

• Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    +1 skip on that router. If a budget is a concern use GNS3 for the routers and you can connect it to your physical lab to interact with the switch you already have. I would pick up another switch (3550 IMHO) would give you what you need for the CCNA.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The 1721's are OK.

The only issue is that if you bought them, and load up the IOS, and get your lab all cabled up correctly, you still find yourself dropping back to your GNS3 (or IOU if you have access for it) server, because these load up so much faster and use less electricity.

While going through SWITCH labs I'd be typing up the commands in notepad while waiting for the switches to finish booting up.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)