Question about RAM

GyverVGyverV Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I am currently studying for my A+ certification and I have a question about what I need to know about RAM. I am comparing the Exam Objectives concerning RAM to what is in my A+ All-In-One by Mike Myers book, and I see that he has charts that list the DDR Speed Rating, Clock Speeds, and PC Speed Rating of the different ram types.

Do I need to memorize those charts or is being familiar with the types of RAM and their general properties all that is within the scope of the A+ exam?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't have to memorize those tables by heart. What you do have to know is that every level of DDR basically doubles the clock speed, because DDR stands for double data rate. This means that if your clock speed is 400 MHz, the DDR speed is 800, the DDR2 speed is 1600, and the DDR3 speed is 3200. It's basically just a matter of doing the math. There are exceptions you need to be aware of, though. For instance, you might have one with a DDR rating of 1300 of which half is 650, but there is no 650, it's 667. So you need to study the tables to find out what those exceptions are.

Remember, the test is multiple choice. Don't stress out over it.
  • GyverVGyverV Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great information! Thank you for sharing.
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the 701 about a month or so ago. I wouldn't stress that much over RAM at this level.