Options

My job prospects/ WGU cert transfer

RichardSkinnerIIIRichardSkinnerIII Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hows it going? I'm a new member on this forum, and I thought I'd ask a few questions. Forgive me, after browsing a bit I imagine that talking about WGU cert transfers is beating a dead horse, but I thought I'd bring it up anyhow to get a more refined answer.

Currently, I have obtained a job at a hosptial in their IT department, and it pays well for an entry level position. I have heard time and time again that hospital IT is the place to be. However, where does one go from here? I aim to stick around as long as possible and get some solid experience. My dad has been in IT for over 20 years working for himself, and I have done some internships and have 3 1/2 years of state college under my belt. I consider myself lucky getting this position, especially with the way things are out there.

I aim to rack up as many certifications as I can, and one of my goals is to finish my degree at WGU. I'm in a good position because they'll reimburse me for every certification I take. And they'll also reimburse a certain amount of tuition after a year's employment.

However, With the changes occurring at WGU, is it still possible to get credit for those certifications? I mean, I don't want to have to take the course if I have a particular hands on skill accompanied with a certification.

I'm nearly done, that advertised "25% of your bachelor's degree" I can supposedly waive is nearly the rest of my degree. I'd only need to take maybe 3 courses.

Any thoughts on that?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My understanding with credit assessment at WGU is the best info is going to be from them directly. I'm waiting on the answers from WGU myself right now to find out what they'll take. From what I understand your past classes have to match up with what WGU requires, so just having 3.5 years of class doesn't just equal 75%+ of requirements filled unless every class matches up. I also don't know if there is a max that you can transfer in, I've heard 60 credits but I'm not sure if that is accurate. I have about 80+ myself so I'm hoping I can get good use out of all my past course work.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The best person to talk to concerning what classes certs are going to transfer in is your enrollment councilor. Once they do an audit of your transcripts, they will be able to tell you what you have completed and what is remaining to complete.

Anything else is just speculation and best guesses.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WGU is making some changes, so getting current and correct information can be challenging. Certs will need to have been obtained within 5 years to transfer in.

General education classes seem to be handled differently. For example, I received a "requirement satisfied" for geography with my Psychology course I had taken previously. General educations courses can be used farther back than the 5 years for certs.

Your enrollment counselor will generally be able to find out, but you need to keep in contact with them.

I also remember reading somewhere that you have to take a certain amount of CUs at WGU, they won't allow you to come in an just take 10 CU's or something along those lines.

Transferable IT Certifications
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Private message me your email address and I will send you my transcript evaluation form, there is some really good information on there about what will transfer, its pretty recent to, from March.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I also remember reading somewhere that you have to take a certain amount of CUs at WGU, they won't allow you to come in an just take 10 CU's or something along those lines.

Transferable IT Certifications

I don't recall reading that myself, but it is a fairly common requirement and typically it is around 30 credits.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It used to be you could transfer in all general ed courses and certs but you would have to take the WGU required courses like ORC1, CLC1, BNC1, MGC1, technical writing and capstone.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    It used to be you could transfer in all general ed courses and certs but you would have to take the WGU required courses like ORC1, CLC1, BNC1, MGC1, technical writing and capstone.

There are classes at WGU that they require because there is no school or certification equivalent. I don't think most anyone without a bachelors degree and years of industry experience would have EVERY certification they list in any of the degree programs, so its a given your taking a term or more of classes.