Options

What can be done while getting CCNA

Rodzilla GRodzilla G Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am going the CCENT route to try and get the CCNA. Eventually would like to look at CCNA Security once I get past CCNA. My question is.........I am a guy who is in desktop support, and has no "actual" experience in the Cisco world. What or who should I try and contact as far as trying to get some actual work experience. I am not so much interested in taking the lead on this, nor do I want to get paid....I just want to learn and do some things and hopefully this will help towards trying to get an actual network/Cisco type job. I appreciate any feedback on this.

Rod

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Talk to your employer. Ask about helping out in the network department.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I appreciate that feedback. But my current employer is full of bureaucratic nightmarish red tape. And thus a dead end. Unfortunately it has to be outside of my current workplace.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If you are stopping at NA, then at least start looking at getting an ASA for your rack. I believe the 5505 will carry you through CCNA-S, but after that you will need dual 5510's with Security Plus license for contexts, failover etc.

As far as work, could be tough but shoot for jobs that state "CCNA Required" and if you know your R&S you can get in and go from there.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It would be great if you could help out with networking projects. Unfortunately some companies have strict guidelines for working off the clock or getting paid overtime.

You have a network+ . it shows you know something.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Goldenlight--Thanks for the vote of confidence. I understand my organization may not want those not directly involved with their projects to get involved...both from a monetary perspective, but also from a security perspective. That's why I am trying to reach out to others. I have tried the state work force commission...with no luck. I am looking at possibly contacting the local small business association here in town. I was/am just trying to see if there are other ideas as well. Thanks for the insights and good luck with the ICND2
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISCO Network Academy, perhaps??
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rodzilla G wrote: »
    I am going the CCENT route to try and get the CCNA. Eventually would like to look at CCNA Security once I get past CCNA. My question is.........I am a guy who is in desktop support, and has no "actual" experience in the Cisco world. What or who should I try and contact as far as trying to get some actual work experience. I am not so much interested in taking the lead on this, nor do I want to get paid....I just want to learn and do some things and hopefully this will help towards trying to get an actual network/Cisco type job. I appreciate any feedback on this.

Rod

I completed my CCNA and CCNA: Sec when I was in desktop support. The two things that helped me the most:

1. Get a legit lab going. Sure, you can lab everything for CCNA and CCNA: Sec in GNS3, but there is no equal substitute for getting your hands on the real stuff.

2. If you're in desktop support, you probably interface with network administrators and network engineers on a relatively frequent basis. I used to sit in and help our engineers perform changes at the site. If I was not able to help, I would ask to 'ride along' and be part of the process as an observer.

Outside of that, you're going to hit the wall a little bit. I would start updating the resume weekly and spamming the job boards with it until you get some hits. Someone will eventually take a chance on you.

NOTE: Just saw that your org doesn't want you involved in the process. That's unfortunate. I would ramp up the CCNA and CCNA Sec efforts and get that on paper ASAP. Good luck.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What part of Texas are you from? DFW/Austin are huge growing cities in terms of IT in general. I suggest do doing everthing you can to put yourself out there. Make a linkedIn account, Monster, and build resume profiles of several other job search sites like, Indeed, Simply Hired, CareerBuilder, etc. Apply like crazy! I think I applied to 50-100 different job before I landed this one I have now.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I completed my CCNA and CCNA: Sec when I was in desktop support. The two things that helped me the most:

1. Get a legit lab going. Sure, you can lab everything for CCNA and CCNA: Sec in GNS3, but there is no equal substitute for getting your hands on the real stuff.

2. If you're in desktop support, you probably interface with network administrators and network engineers on a relatively frequent basis. I used to sit in and help our engineers perform changes at the site. If I was not able to help, I would ask to 'ride along' and be part of the process as an observer.

Outside of that, you're going to hit the wall a little bit. I would start updating the resume weekly and spamming the job boards with it until you get some hits. Someone will eventually take a chance on you.

NOTE: Just saw that your org doesn't want you involved in the process. That's unfortunate. I would ramp up the CCNA and CCNA Sec efforts and get that on paper ASAP. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah this is a governmental facility and they won't let anyone "sit in" on projects for a number of reasons....believe me I have asked. I have thought of getting my own equipment. But the most important thing whether I get the equipment or not.......is actually GETTING the CCNA. Tough to do, but I will get it. Just taking the 2 test approach. But yes I agree with updating the rez, using job search facilitators, and other online opportunities will help. Thanks for the insights.
  • Options
    What part of Texas are you from? DFW/Austin are huge growing cities in terms of IT in general. I suggest do doing everthing you can to put yourself out there. Make a linkedIn account, Monster, and build resume profiles of several other job search sites like, Indeed, Simply Hired, CareerBuilder, etc. Apply like crazy! I think I applied to 50-100 different job before I landed this one I have now.

I am in San Antonio. I agree with looking at all the online resources, and I appreciate the insights. But I want to make sure I have the CCNA cert first before I really start to do that. In the mean time I wanted to work on some projects, and thus the posting. Thanks for all of the insights though. Congrats on the job.