Options

CCNA Studies - Home lab setup

Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
After passing my Security+ I thought I would move into the Cisco realm and go through the ICND1/ICND2 route.

I've thought about getting real equipment for some time as I would retain the knowledge and material much more than if I used a simulation.

So I started to look for some deals on eBay. So far I managed to make a purchase for 1 - 3550 switch at a price of $58 shipped.

Now I'd like to purchase 2 more 3550 switches (currently waiting for bid to end) so I can use the more advanced protocols (STP, VTP etc)

Once I made the purchases I'd move into the routers. I'm thinking of picking up 2 - 2611XM routers.

Lab setup;
3 - 3550 (purchased)
1 - 2650XM (purchased)
2 - 2611XM/2620XM (not yet purchased)

Would this setup be sufficient for my CCNA studies?

Eventually I would like to add more equipment as I advance into CCNP.
CCIE has passed my mind, but I will wait till the moment comes and then decide if I want to further pursue CCIE after CCNP, but I would like to be prepared if I do decide to continue.

I say the above statement based on studying for my CCNA/CCNP Security before I advance into the CCIE territory.

Comments

• Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    The 2610XM is a good start but if you want to move to CCNP, or the Voice/Security Tracks the 2801's can be had for pretty cheap IMHO :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    I'll look into that now. Maybe I can do what I just did to snag some inexpensive 3550 switches.

Just snagged myself 2 - 3550 switches for $62 shipped. I guess it doesn't hurt sometimes to message the seller and offer them a price. Score ! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Damn two switches for that total? What a steal :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Cisco 2801 | eBay

these are all $140+ thats not cheaP!
  • Options
    The 2801 were not cheap in my opinion. Cheap for me would be <$80 even that is the top end of what I'm looking to spend.

Maybe I'll stick with the 2610xm and possibly pick up a 2611xm/2620xm if I need it.
  • Options
    Donnelly82Donnelly82 Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for my CCNA and hopefully going to sit the exam within the month. I have 3 x 2610xm routers, 2 x 2950 switches, and 1 3550 switch. I bought the 3550 just to play around with a faster, more modern switch, and also to see the difference with spanning tree and VTP. So far the LAB seems to be fairly adequate and does everything the course content desires. The only thing i wish i knew at the time was that the 2611 routers have 2 fastethernets, which would of made things a lot easier to setup, and i believe they will run faster than the serial interfaces. But it is good to be able to configure both.

It is very good to practice with the real stuff. Im going to erase all my configurations within the week, and try and reconfigure everything from memory before i sit this exam.. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh..

oh and my 3550 switch was £60 sterling a couple of months ago icon_sad.gif

Good luck
    James
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to look into the 2620XM as they're very close in price to the 2611XM.. someone is selling two 2620XM and I'm going to try and use my magic powers to get them for a steal. Hope it works. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Picked up a 2650XM router for $60 - would this be an ideal addition to my lab? Along with 2 x 2611XM or 2 x 2620XM?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    2800 will slowly go down price as time goes since people have been phasing them out for 29xx's.

1841's are also pretty good although they lack some more Voice stuff and are just as expensive as 28xx still
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    2800 will slowly go down price as time goes since people have been phasing them out for 29xx's.

1841's are also pretty good although they lack some more Voice stuff and are just as expensive as 28xx still

Slowly but surely? By the time they go to a reasonable price I could have spent the time waiting and start studying for CCNA.

1841's seem to be the most reasonable as they lap into the NP/IE studies but I think at that time I'll just sell what will not be used and replace them when the time comes (after CCNA/CCNP). It seems that 1 x 2650XM in addition to 2 x 2611XM or 2 x 2620XM would be enough for the CCNA and can lap into the CCNP studies with additional routers/switches. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
  • Options
    I ended up buying myself a 3640 router, but forgot I had a bid on a 3620 as well. For the price of what I got the 3620 I thought it wouldn't hurt to buy it from the seller. It has not been paid yet.

My question is, will having a 3640 and a 3620 be good for a CCNP/IE studies or should I stick with just the 3640 and return the 3620?
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Instead of creating a new thread, I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask a question in his. I'm extremely new to Cisco, beginner's level in the networking world. I'm studying and would like to have my CCENT by August at the latest. I've been looking at all sorts of tutorials, including the one on this site but I'm wondering if they are not a bit outdated, some of them written in 2010. I'm thinking about picking up a couple of 1841 routers and a switch, the routers have come down in price it seems after reading some tutorials saying they would be the best but at the time it was written they were 600 a piece. I figure I might be able to get them at 100 to 150 a piece. Should I spend that money, or should I go with something a little more beginner level like the 1720.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you, I'm glad I didn't win that auction now. I found what looks like some decent deals on 2 2950 switches and 2 2621 routers with free shipping on both. I'm probably not quite ready to jump into building a lab yet but I hope to get there pretty soon.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    make sure you get a 2950c,g or t model. I believe they are better than the plain 2950.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Dont do a 2600XM. Too old. No IOS 15.x on those guys.

Look for an 1800 series or 2800 series. I grabbed an 1811W for 50.00. Works great :) Ebay is your friend and you're new addiction
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    Dont do a 2600XM. Too old. No IOS 15.x on those guys.

Look for an 1800 series or 2800 series. I grabbed an 1811W for 50.00. Works great :) Ebay is your friend and you're new addiction

You can still use 26xx , IOS 15.x isn't required and mostly just for studying / practicing licenses, otherwise you are good to go.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    You can still use 26xx , IOS 15.x isn't required and mostly just for studying / practicing licenses, otherwise you are good to go.

True. You do not need to be practicing on IOS 15
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    I just got worried about that post, considering I just made a few more purchases.

Got a deal for a 2610XM and 2650XM at $55 shipped. Couldn't let it go considering I bought a 2650XM late last week for $63 shipped.

Additionally bought myself a 3640 router. I think I'm done buying for now.
  • Options
    bbarrick wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm glad I didn't win that auction now. I found what looks like some decent deals on 2 2950 switches and 2 2621 routers with free shipping on both. I'm probably not quite ready to jump into building a lab yet but I hope to get there pretty soon.

So I got the 2 routers for 50 bucks a piece with free shipping and the two switches for 40 bucks a piece. Not bad, I think if I'd been a little more patient I could have gotten the switches cheaper, but the shipping on some of them adds 20 dollars or more to the final price. Can't wait to get them in.
  • Options
    Had to same feeling. The feeling of anxiousness as I waited for them to come in. I got my 2nd 2650XM in today.

Waiting next week for my 2610XM, 2650XM, 3640 routers and my CCNA 100-101 hardcover book.
  • Options
    Santa_ wrote: »
    Had to same feeling. The feeling of anxiousness as I waited for them to come in. I got my 2nd 2650XM in today.

Waiting next week for my 2610XM, 2650XM, 3640 routers and my CCNA 100-101 hardcover book.

What's the best place to start, besides physically hooking them up, once you get them? Or, where do you plan on starting? I'm going to try and have my CCENT, starting from a near beginner level, by August. I don't know how long it's going to take me to be honest but I plan on studying everyday till I feel ready. I'm hoping to move to Florida sometime after August maybe next year, if I could get my CCNA by then I think it would make the move much less stressful with that in my pocket.

I have no idea really what to expect if I get a CCNA, what sort of salary or anything. I see all of the average nationwide salaries listing them about triple of what I make now, but I hear horror stories of people with all sorts of certifications/degrees barely getting by with a tech job.