Options

Questioning my IT career: It starts Here, and I am new to IT - Need some mentors

vvssovannvvssovann Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
The Short: I came home 3 years ago from being incarcerated for 14 years. It's really difficult to get any job these days with a record. I'm looking toward the IT field to at least buffer the situation I am in. I am starting to study for the A+ TODAY (yes, literally TODAY) I plan to go the A+, Net+, CCNA route for now. (With a Security + cert for flair)

Question 1: What study materials are the most effective (i.e. books/free online training/vs time and money - because I am underemployed and it's hard to just get by with my personal restraints)

Question 2: Is this the right track to go? (I want to be able to provide for myself and my family...with a record, will these certifications save my life?)

I need all of your help, and any information, no matter how harsh or true your opinions may be, would be of great service.

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    To be honest, having a record will definitely make this more difficult for you when looking to land a job. You will most likely be turned away from many jobs simply for that fact. There are, however, many employers out there who are probably OK with giving an ex-con a chance, so dont be discouraged if you get rejected, keep on pushing forward and you'll get there!

There was a really cool guy that I used to work with while in college (older guy, very wise, very funny). He was a technical supervisor at an Apple store and eventually moved up to management. I was very surprised to learn that he was an ex-con (grand theft auto, did some hard time for it). He said he fessed up to his mistakes as a young man in an interview, was honest and straight-forward with Apple. He told them his motivation for applying and his desire to help his family out and become an upstanding member of society again. Apple was impressed and gave him the job. He now works as District manager for series of Apple stores.

Its not quite IT, but you get the point: even bigger companies like Apple will be willing to invest and give a second chance to someone if they are the right person! If this is what you want to do, dont give up!

Back on topic: I've heard the Mike Myers books for A+ certification is a good starting point. They're large, but are easy to read and do more than just help you pass a test, they give you a foundational understanding of computer hardware. Just do an Amazon search for Mike Myers, A+ and grab that book (make sure its the latest edition).

Certifications will most certainly help you land your first gig. But make no mistake about it, experience is king. Volunteer or do an internship to get any real-world experience while you study. ANYTHING IT related will help you land that first IT job.

The first job will always be the tough one to grab, but with a little luck and a lot of hard work and dedication, anyone can do it. Good luck and happy studying!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off. congratulations on trying to better your life and get away from the life of crime. The mike myers book is a good one and check out the professor messer videos.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums. The A+, Network+, Security+ trio lays a solid foundation for any IT career and is an excellent place to start. Adding on a CCNA is good if you enjoy working with networking devices.

We all have challenges in our lives though some are tougher than others. However, I honestly believe that none of our challenges are insurmountable. I've worked side by side with many successful people that had previously been incarcerated, but I wouldn't have guessed it until they told me. Some were in the IT field and others were entrepreneurs.

Good luck.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to knock your chances of getting into the IT field because I still think it's possible although your options will be limited but maybe consider starting a business if you've got the right mentality for it. Otherwise just keep grinding and wait for someone to give you that opportunity.
  • Options
    mrneefmrneef Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on what your charge is also.

My brother had a fresh Felony, no jail time, and got a job Tier 1. Killed the interview, was upfront, and got the gig with a Cert. He now makes pretty good money and already got an approval from the VP who herself said skillset and mentality far outweigh education in her company.

I have 2 misdemeanors, one is revolved around a 'forgery' for using a fake id. I am going to attempt to get my foot in the door at brother's company.

I currently own 2 businesses, and one I will most likely liquidate out of, and the other is kind of sustaining. I myself was looking for a more "corporate" gig to solidify my newly born daughter's future.

BOL