What site's do you guy's use to find IT job's?

CiscoKing12CiscoKing12 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have posted my resume on dice,career builder and monster,but still no call's or anything.I'm a young man 22 recently got my CCNA and i'm basically trying to get my foot in the door somewhere.I'm currently doing an internship for a company that probably won't pick me up.They basically have me as a field technician going from school to school configuring desktops and printers,so it's nothing networking related.I'm just basically dealing with the core hardware of the computer.I had a interview yesterday for a level one NOC position which went pretty good.I don't have any experience which makes it even harder for me but my question to you guy's is where do i start? what type of jobs do i look for? And is their any hope for me? I live in New York if that matters at all.I just need some guidance,so if anyone can give me some positive word's of advice it will be much appreciated thank you.icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It takes a while, and it's not overnight. You'll probably have to start out in some help desk or field tech position like you are doing now. You have some internship experience so that's a start. Highlight that when you talk to company's during the interview process, tell them why you like the position you are interviewing for and why you would be a great fit. Tell them what your goals are...like if you are working on school, or what you would eventually like to get into job wise. You have to sell yourself a little instead of worrying about the lack of experience. If I were you, keep lookin for other internships out there that will help develop some experience.

Try Indeed.com, and send your resume directly to the company, and not a 3rd party, or recruitment/placement firm. I've never had luck or faith in those deals.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had great results with Dice and craigslist finding jobs I would check them out. I would also consider contract work to help build some experience which can help open up doors to better jobs down the road.

Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try linkedin, I've had good results.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Indeed.com (Also post your resume, and make an account/profile).
    LinkedIn.com (Just make sure to have a good profile, follow some recruiters).
    Dice.com (Not a lot of luck there...)
    Monster.com (Some luck here from what I have heard).

Also try to go to as many IT Conferences or Job Fairs as you can attend.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I get a bunch of desktop replies from career builder but its not what I want
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    IT jobs find me on LinkedIn... icon_thumright.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    More important where do the good jobs find you. I get hit up on LinkedIn over 10 times a week. All data driven position, but they are usually contract or have some weird piece that I would rather avoid.

I'm fond of Craigslist a lot of the employers out there "request only principals contact them no recruiters". That to me has such a nice ring.
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    The thing I like about craigslist is generally its the hiring manager posting the ad directly, not some HR department that guesses which resume is the best qualified from the ton they receive.

Careerbuilder has a "quick apply" button next to ~20 jobs after you apply for one. I imagine that floods the job postings since why would you not just click the "quick apply" next to each one? Whats the worst that could happen?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LinkedIn has been a huge help to people to these days. It is constantly ranked as a the #1 source of people finding jobs or making the connection with someone that lands them a job. I know many who are applying directly to jobs on company websites and then following up with contacts on LinkedIn.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've received tons of emails from recruiters who found my resume on Dice and Monster. I found three jobs on Craigslist before; my current sysadmin position, non-IT admin assistant, and non-IT accounting at some anime merchandise shop. No success with Dice or Monster.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Indeed and craigslist. Also make sure your resume is on Careerbuilder and Monster. It doesnt happen overnight. I didnt get any hits for about a month, but two-three months after posting my resume I was getting calls left and right.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • CiscoKing12CiscoKing12 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Someone delete this thread. Thank's in advance.icon_thumright.gif