Is it possible to find work with CCENT alone?

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently enrolled to start an IT program next September (CIT BCIT : : Computer Information Technology: Full-time/Cooperative Education, Diploma of Technology)

I am also currently studying for CCENT right now. My goal is to get that certification out of the way before my program starts. I was just wondering if it's possible to find any work with CENT alone. Ideally I would like to work, even part-time, in the IT industry while I'm in school full time.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not familiar with the school you are going too or what employers are looking for in Canada as far as degrees are concerned, but I'd genally advise people to avoid 'dimploma' programs and instead work towards an actual degree.

The CCENT alone will not get you a job. A CCENT, a well written resume and some decent interview skills will though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure. You can do contract jobs for companies setting up networks and terminating cables.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I don't think the CCENT alone will be enough. But that does't mean you shouldn't try at all! You could find something but it's just going to be hard. The idea of making sure your resume is great and performing good at interviews is what will make the difference.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    If you don't have any other certifications, and you don't have any experience, it's going to be very difficult to land a job simply because you were able to pass an exam (CCENT). Getting some other base certifications is a good place to start (CompTIA A+, Network+ etc). Doing volunteer work to get experience is also a good place to start (think churches and non-profit organizations). Education is good, certifications are great, but the King of everything is experience!
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, there is no true answer to your question. It varies so much. I hear a lot about how hard it is to get an IT job in parts of the country. However, in my experience, I am just starting my associate degree in computer networking, and landed an IT internship job. Sure it is just an internship, but it is something. Now, I passed my ICND1 exam, and my resume is getting a lot of hits and I'm getting calls for interviews. However, in some other areas I hear about people with bachelor degrees and certifications that can not find a job. I think it comes down to area. I suggest going for a degree and keep learning. Opportunity will knock.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCENT alone will not get you a job. A CCENT, a well written resume and some decent interview skills will though.

This!! Could not have said it any better
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Yea, there is no true answer to your question. It varies so much. I hear a lot about how hard it is to get an IT job in parts of the country. However, in my experience, I am just starting my associate degree in computer networking, and landed an IT internship job. Sure it is just an internship, but it is something. Now, I passed my ICND1 exam, and my resume is getting a lot of hits and I'm getting calls for interviews. However, in some other areas I hear about people with bachelor degrees and certifications that can not find a job. I think it comes down to area. I suggest going for a degree and keep learning. Opportunity will knock.

Location is definitely a huge part of the equation. Some places have an abundance of tech work and some there are very little besides basic IT admin work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The program I'm entering is a 2 year diploma, but you have the option to pursue a degree afterwards with another 2 years (which I fully intend on doing).

Thanks everybody.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is not a certificate that guarantees a job - it is a person that gets hired, not a credential. The credential, however, helps the person to get the job icon_smile.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    The credential gets you the interview. Hr is looking for digits, sad but true
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't agree more with networker. Make sure your resume/CV is tight, you send a good cover letter and know how to interview. I paid the money to get a professional resume written and it has paid for itself already. I can personally state (just interviewed and landed a new contract) that the CCENT and the underlying implication that you are working on your CCNA will matter to employers. I can say, though, that I haven't met a single person that knew what a CCENT was. Tell them it's the first half of the CCNA, that gets them thinking ;)
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    I totally agree with chooselife. It's you who gets hired and not your certifications... certs do get you the interviews and they do help you when you have issue @ work and stuff but you GET a job only if you know your ****... I've seen ppl who don't have any certifications and they are in a senior positions and I have seen ppl who have certifications and don't even have a job. I am not trying to demotivate you or anything but just certification is not enuff... understand and know your stuff and you will go places....

Good luck with your cert mate... this forum is amazing, you will get all the help you need right here.. don't be afraid to post your concern.

Cheers!!!
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not the OP, but it's good to hear that this is a good forum. I'm tired of all the negativity from other places.
  • SGITSGIT Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first post here, but I can see how this forum will be helpful throughout my career.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Its great this place. A lot of good posters on here
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]