Options

Study for multiple exams at once?

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
All,

I have recently decided to study up on Linux as it could lead to a better position with my current employer. That said, I am in desperate need of Networking training as it is my weakness. eg, I know how to make a cable and plug it in.. else I am clueless.

Being a complete novice in both technologies, do you guys think I could successfully manage both? I think the Net+ might be manageable because it is fairly vender neutral and should be topics that I can cover in Linux to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Seems like I have a full schedule all of a sudden, because I would also like to get the 685 completed before retirement.

Any advice is useful.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've done it a few times and I don't recommend it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I'd go all out on one exam and knock it out before I start on the second. It isnt as much about the piece of paper as it is about the knowledge that comes along with it. The Net+ is pointless at the stage you are at, I reckon. Study the CCENT/CCNA (may take a while but the dividends are much greater than the lowly and entry-level N+) instead.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I did A+ and Net+ years ago at the same time. Took both A+ exams in same day and the Net+ two days later. I had two classes in college in the same semester that covered a lot of the material from both exams so it wasn't that difficult. I wouldn't do it on self study unless it's two tests closely related like CIPT1 and CIPT2 in the Voice track.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah like Dave330i I've done it multiple times, failed a couple of exams doing it that way too. I wouldn't recommend it either, focusing on one exam is much better unless they are closely related like aaron0011 says.

Also 70-685 is not being retired until 31st Jan 2014 - you've plenty of time to get that done.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Add me to the "been there, don't recommend it" group. The one time I tried I got my lowest pass scores ever. Not worth the hassle IMO.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Add me to the "been there, don't recommend it" group. Not worth the hassle IMO.

+2 on that

If all you want is networking basics then Net+ is for you. If you are planning on going into networking then CCENT might be a better start if you know some networking basics.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "never been there, still don't recommend it"
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Also 70-685 is not being retired until 31st Jan 2014 - you've plenty of time to get that done.

The 70-685 exam is not being retired - MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician will be retired after January 31, 2014 but you will still earn the MCSA: Windows 7 for passing the 70-680 as well as the 70-685 (or 70-686). See: Windows Certification | Microsoft Learning and MCSA: Windows 7 Certification | Microsoft Learning
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I've done it few times for entry certification relying on years of experience and even for that I still wouldn't recommended it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It would be more efficient if you only did one course at a time, as your repetitions could be more frequent if you're on the same course.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    The 70-685 exam is not being retired - MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician will be retired after January 31, 2014 but you will still earn the MCSA: Windows 7 for passing the 70-680 as well as the 70-685 (or 70-686). See: Windows Certification | Microsoft Learning and MCSA: Windows 7 Certification | Microsoft Learning
    Ah I forgot they were still awarding the MCSA, thanks for clarifying that.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Great feedback. I guess I will hit one then the other. I honestly don't know how I will go with the Net+ vs CCNA thing though. I was a little sarcastic about my knowledge of Networking, but I am very much a novice. I will have to see what assumptions the CCENT training makes on knowledge before I jump into it. I appreciate the response and information.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've tried it with MS MCSA and Cisco CCNA, because I was trying to get a breakthru with my job.

Didn't finish either test and never got a breakthru at my job either.

So, I don't recommend it.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    OP mentioned preparing for n+ and Linux exams at the same time. It would kind of make sense to prepare for both if they were tightly related, which in this case they aren't. N+ is both vendor neutral and focused on hardware aspect of networking, while Linux is all about servers (in software) and how to configure them.
    If it was for example two exams on Windows server, then yes, it would make sense to prepare for both at the same time. Or two Linux exams.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I'm in the same club. I've tried doing it on numerous occasions and it never works out. I find it way better to concentrate on one thing and get it done the right way, otherwise I'm not getting the most of the material.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I might be the outlier, but i've successfully studied two topics at the same time. There are occasions where I reach overload on one study area, so to keep up the habit of studying at a fixed time of the evening I wrap my head around some other study area -- usually something that interests me more. After the 3rd day, I return to the study are most important to me. It seems to work well at times.
  • Options
    DDWingateDDWingate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While it certainly is possible to study for multiple separate exams, I wouldn't recommend it if they are of even slightly different subjects. This is because I see studying a subject as much more than memorizing heaps of things, but rather, devoting yourself to a particular subject in the same way a method actor devotes himself to a role.

Im taking Network+ and i've taken no chances, devoting myself to understanding not just the requirements, but the actual concepts behind them. In short, I've completely immersed myself in the world of basic networking, devoting all my mental occupation to the subject.

I do that because I want my study to be a period of learning and enlightenment, not just squatting to print out a passing grade as soon as possible. IMO you can't devote yourself to a subject as well if you're committed to more than one.

But thats just me. If you plan to study fast, gain qualifications quick and rise to the top, it might just work. My say is take it easy. Study shouldn't be treated like a job
    www.historyofpleasantview.blogspot.com
    Doug's Declassified History of Pleasantview - The Second Greatest Story Ever Told!
    Subscribe Today!