Options

Roaming Profile Issue after new VMWare Server (Server 2008 R2)

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi All,

I am currently dealing with a bit of a strange situation.
We have set-up a 2008 R2 server on VMWare and have around 20 users accessing the server. We are currently transitioning from 2003 so these 20 test users now have 2 profiles. The standard profile and the new V2.

Once these 20 users new profiles were set-up and configured they had no issues. The profile was roaming perfectly.

Now the problem! Our network engineer made a clone of the 2008 server and performed a sysprep in order to ensure it got a new SID. This server is meant to be the production server but when any of these 20 users attempt to log on the server refuses to load their roaming profile. Instead it gives them a local profile which is deleted on log off.

These users can log onto the new server "RD1" and the profile will not load and then log onto the test server "TS2008" and it works perfectly.
I have tried deleting the profiles from the local disks of both servers and logging on but the roaming profile still will not work?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you need to edit the NTFS permissions of the profile for the new user, give them full control over their own profile and it should stop creating temporary local profiles (I think it's might be doing that because it doesn't have NTFS permissions on the profile). Maybe you have orphan NTFS permissions on the profiles with a question mark beside them?
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Just to be clear, you set up a test server and named it "TS2008", set up shares, and assigned the users their roaming profiles to point/download from/to "TS2008"?
    Then you cloned "TS2008" to "RD1"- which is production now- it was syspred and joined back to domain, but end users' roaming profiles won't load on the "RD1" server. While it still works fine on the "TS2008" server?
    Where are you loading the roaming profiles from, "TS2008" or "RD1" ? Are these Terminal servers ?
    Try Asif's suggestions with robocopy : Robocopy /MIR switch
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a permissions issue in one of the folders on the path to the profile. If they are set in a share under a folder eg .. share$\users\user profile then they need permissions for those folders. Robocopy should be able to re-copy the data from the working server to the new server while keeping the data/folder permissions.
  • Options
    albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Thank You all for your replies but i should have been more clear.
    The users profiles are stored on a file server called FDS01.
    The testing server is "TS2008" and production is "RD1". Both of these are terminal servers.

I am fairly positive this is not a permissions problem because as i mentioned when the users log into TS2008 there is no issue. The users roaming profile copies across from the file server to the local disk under the "users" folder just fine.
    It is only when they attempt to log into RDS1 does the roaming profile not copy across to the local disk. The copying of a roaming profile to a local disk i believe is done by the systems permissions and obviously i have not changed these?
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Were you able to resolve the problem?
    The only other thing that comes to mind is RD1 did not register correctly on the AD. Check DC Event logs for Netlogon issues for this server's name being denied access
    albanga wrote: »
    The testing server is "TS2008" and production is "RD1". Both of these are terminal servers.

I am fairly positive this is not a permissions problem because as i mentioned when the users log into TS2008 there is no issue. The users roaming profile copies across from the file server to the local disk under the "users" folder just fine.
    It is only when they attempt to log into RDS1 does the roaming profile not copy across to the local disk. The copying of a roaming profile to a local disk i believe is done by the systems permissions and obviously i have not changed these?
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    albanga wrote: »

When the server was cloned were there already copies of all of the profiles in \users\? If so I would start by deleting all of those folders.

If another user who has never logged in either of these servers logs in RD1 do they also get a local temp profile?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    are you sure its not a bandwidth issue, if both servers are in use it could be causing too much traffic or qos could be configed wrong giving more priority to the wrong server
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So, if I am understanding this right, your users can log onto the TS2008 just fine, but not the RD1 server? And your engineer made a clone of the test server with all the user profiles on the TS2008 server?

I've seen a similar issue when we were configuring Office 365 and email setup. Some of our users were getting temp profiles on specific computers. I went in to the registry and deleted the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>ProfileList>delete the user's profile if it's there.

Some people had been doing it the XP way, by just deleting the profile in Documents and Settings, but that doesn't always work in later versions of windows. You need to remove them from the system>advanced system settings>User Profiles. Then check the registry.