Options

Advanced Tech Quiz!

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
Quiz I found online, want to know what different opinions/solutions TE members can give.

If there is a link to a program in Start > Programs > Startup, the program will auto-start the next time Windows starts. There are (at least) 5 other ways that a program can autostart with Windows. Name them. (be very specific)

When the "Swen" virus infected someone's system, it made significant changes to the registry that caused it to be extremely difficult to be removed. What were all the registry changes and why did those changes make it so difficult to remove?

Situation: Starting Microsoft Word causes it to sit at the splash screen for a long time. It will either crash out or freeze at that point. There are no problems with system resources or memory. What are the most likely reasons for this happening and how do you solve it?

When doing spyware removal on someone's system, you should do something before starting the removal process. This step should be your first step. What is this step and why should you do it? (from a remote perspective)

Getting two WindowsXP computers talking to each other in a peer-to-peer (non-server based) network can be problematic at times. When computers don't see each other in Network Neighborhood, what can be done and why is this necessary? Both machines can access the internet through the router with no problems, they are both in the same workgroup, file and printer sharing is turned on, firewalls have been set up correctly, and there are folders that have been shared with correct permissions on both machines.

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This is all considered "advanced"? Really? ... Wow, ok... intriguing to know, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Must be too advanced for this crowd:D
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Quiz I found online, want to know what different opinions/solutions TE members can give.

1. If there is a link to a program in Start > Programs > Startup, the program will auto-start the next time Windows starts. There are (at least) 5 other ways that a program can autostart with Windows. Name them. (be very specific)

you can set the run key in hklm to launch
    you can setup the run once key in hklm as well
    you can set the run key in hkcu
    you can set the run once key in hkcu
    you can setup login scripts via domain gpo
    you can setup login scripts via local policy
    you can setup the usrlogon script for rdp sessions
    you can set the windows shell as a program for the whole computer or per user as well.

2. When the "Swen" virus infected someone's system, it made significant changes to the registry that caused it to be extremely difficult to be removed. What were all the registry changes and why did those changes make it so difficult to remove?

Asking about a specific virus is kinda dumb and does not imply advanced skills at all. Having never had to deal with that virus why would I care to know about having to remove it or where reg keys are. If any computer I know of gets infected with serious malware I wipe the drive and reinstall the OS.

3. Situation: Starting Microsoft Word causes it to sit at the splash screen for a long time. It will either crash out or freeze at that point. There are no problems with system resources or memory. What are the most likely reasons for this happening and how do you solve it?

There could be hundreds of reasons why this is happening there is no specific answer to this.

4. When doing spyware removal on someone's system, you should do something before starting the removal process. This step should be your first step. What is this step and why should you do it? (from a remote perspective)

Well I sure hope it would be backing up data.

5. Getting two WindowsXP computers talking to each other in a peer-to-peer (non-server based) network can be problematic at times. When computers don't see each other in Network Neighborhood, what can be done and why is this necessary? Both machines can access the internet through the router with no problems, they are both in the same workgroup, file and printer sharing is turned on, firewalls have been set up correctly, and there are folders that have been shared with correct permissions on both machines.

Upgrade your crappy 11 year old OS to Windows 7 already and stop living in the past.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will dare to answer the unanswerable question--
    Situation: Starting Microsoft Word causes it to sit at the splash screen...how do you solve it?
    1. Ctrl+Alt+Delete then restart the application.
    2. Reboot then restart the application.
    3. Call the help desk - repeat the steps above for them, hear "interesting", and get put on hold.
    4. Google the solution.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

Situation: Starting Microsoft Word causes it to sit at the splash screen for a long time. It will either crash out or freeze at that point. There are no problems with system resources or memory. What are the most likely reasons for this happening and how do you solve it?

It is M$ and it is a feature not a fault, Install OpenOffice??
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Long time since I did desktop tech support but I remember office/excel freezing at the logo we would do a reg edit to disable dde with a %1 or removed it, been years :)
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I'm 99% sure this is the exact same "entrance exam" that support.com gives when you apply for a job with them. I applied with them to try and find some PT work a few months back and I think these questions are word-for-word from their quiz.
  • Options
    Just a disclaimer, I had already answered these questions myself before I posted this topic. Speaking of Support.com, anyone work for them at home? How was it?

I'm 99% sure this is the exact same "entrance exam" that support.com gives when you apply for a job with them. I applied with them to try and find some PT work a few months back and I think these questions are word-for-word from their quiz.