Options

technet subscription, now what?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I finally bought a TN subscription after all these years. I dont have a well defined career path at this point, but I want to get my feet wet with everything, systems, networks and security. I've got the networks portion covered with my slow CCNA studies. I want to get into the server/client admin and microsoft products in the area of security, patch management, and whatever other topics you guys throw at me.

So I'd like to know, what are you guys doing in your jobs? AD support is one thing, I have some experience, and i'll likely be watching some training in this area. I'd like to use Hyper-V to deploy my environment, i'll get to that shortly. I know i'd like to get to know SCCM, I was planning Forefront, but it looks like that is on its way out with no replacement, is there anything I need to be aware of in that arena?

These are the only MS products that I see myself using for this iteration of training, feel free to add to the list. My understanding that Hyper-V is part of Server 2008, and I believe also a standalone product. I'll likely get a large hdd for my laptop, install WS8 and run only the hyper-v role, I assume that would make sense. then install WS8 DC as a host, W7 Pro host. Anything else I should be looking at?

FYI, this isn't for certification purposes just want to learn these technologies. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I just let mine expire. Fortunately, the licenses are still good even after. I'd argue that the best administrative cross platform tool for microsoft technologies is Powershell. It interfaces with nearly everything Microsoft. One thing that's helpful about setting up a scaled enterprise network with Microsoft software is to get an opportunity to use Powershell to its full capacity. Hope you enjoy your subscription.
  • Options
    Thanks hutch. I'm a little apprehensive about anything having to do with scripting or programming, but if I have the opportunity to learn it I will.

Thoughts on anything else?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would look into SCCM 2012. Also from my understanding of it forefront for clients is not going away. MS actually just made it part of the config man client install package. I think forefront for the client will be around for awhile. Like hutch said PS is something that speaks to all things MS so it would be very useful to know but from my experience a pain in the a$$ to learn. There is also System Center Data Protection Manager, and System Center Virtual Machine Manager. I would check both of those out. Then there is APP-V and then that gets you working on SQL server, not to mention Exchange 2010/2013 and also Lync Server.

I could go on but I don't know that you would want me to.
  • Options
    Lol, no that is exactly what I'm looking for. If I understand what you are saying, the management engine for forefront clients is part of SCCM? I'll look into SCDPM.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some of the products that could interest you could be for example Windows Server 2012 (gui and core installations), Hyper-V 3, PowerShell 3, System Center 2012, Windows 8, WSUS, Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP), Windows Sysinternals, Security Compliance Manager (SCM).

Good luck!!!
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Lol, no that is exactly what I'm looking for. If I understand what you are saying, the management engine for forefront clients is part of SCCM? I'll look into SCDPM.

Yes. SCCM 2012 and Forefront are now in essence 1 product. You manage all of your clients AV related tasks in SCCM now if you use Forefront 2012. SCVMM is great because it allows you to manage all your Hyper-V wants and needs from one place. Then there is System Center Operations Manager which is their monitoring solution similar to Nagios.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes everything will work on Server 08R2.