What do you write down before you start the ICND test?

itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm sitting for my ICND1 in the next few days. I'm wondering what some of you have written down before the test that you use for reference.

For me, I'm definitely writing down some subnetting notes, block sizes, subnet masks, the same process I always wrote down before any network academy class exam which was allowed.

Also, do they give you paper, or a whiteboard?

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    itgl72 wrote: »
    I'm sitting for my ICND1 in the next few days. I'm wondering what some of you have written down before the test that you use for reference.
    Nothing. That's a violation of the exam terms of conduct: "If I am given an erasable noteboard or exam-specific materials, I will not use them until after the exam has started." Wait until you finish the survey and the exam timer begins. :)

You are typically given an erasable noteboard.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @NetworkVeteran - good one - lol.
    @itgl72 - I write down the powers of 2 - from 2^0 to 2^12.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For subnetting and summerization, I keep this memory table in my head but also write it down on the dry erase sheet available for quick reference.

127 63 31 15 7 3 1 0 *Wild card mask
    128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255 *subnet Mask
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 *net/host increment ^2 - 2
    1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 *Octet bit boundary reference

I may also write down some common port numbers that may be expected or identified in the exam topics.

This table works for me, but you should continue to use your own method if you have already one.
    [B][URL= wrote:
    Ivanjam[/URL]"][/B]@NetworkVeteran - good one - lol.

I agree, it's one of the more silly (sad) ways to flunk the exam and be recorded as a cheater!

Testing centers vary with respect to how strictly they enforce the rules. I'm just warning the OP to familiarize himself with them and follow them rather than risk disappointment. Wait until after the survey, when the exam and timer officially begins. :)

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/downloads/candidate_rules_agreement.pdf
  • MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I write on the dry erase boards during the 15 min tutorial timer
    I just draw my subnet chart (magic # method) might also be a good idea to write down the port numbers and their meaning if they are fresh in your head
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Anyone got a nice diagram of the magic # method? Or basically what to write down?
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I'm taking the ccent tomorrow, and I see conflicting opinions on whether you can fill out the the dry erase sheet during the tutorial. So is it not allowed, but not necessarily enforced?
    So is it not allowed,

The link states "I will not use them until after the exam has started." If you begin writing before the exam begins, you have broken the rules you agreed to, and are subject to the consequences if caught. If the meaning of that phrase seems ambiguous to you, you may ask the proctor for clarification. Beyond that, it's a question of ethics and pragmatism. Are you okay violating your agreement, and do the benefits outweigh the consequences? Personally, the ethical argument is enough for me.

Besides, hopefully we are capable of remembering our exam notes long enough to jot them down even after the exam begins! If not, imagine what would happen if you were ever called upon to use these skills in the real world.
    but not necessarily enforced?

The desire and ability of proctors to catch people guilty of exam misconduct vary considerably. Typically, there is one person responsible for monitoring (via multiple video cameras) two or three people taking the exam at once.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same as Network Veteran. I write down nothing because it's against the rules. Strictly enforced or not it's against the agreement that I signed as part of the exam. That being said, I have never used the white board on any of my exams.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup. There is no reason to risk your whole exam for the seconds it takes to write down your notes.
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All right thanks, I just wanted to make sure!
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wrote down the multiples of 16. The lower ones are easy enough to do in my head, but at 16 it got difficult to quickly do the math.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    If you need to **** stuff onto a dry erase sheet then you probably aren't as ready for the exam as you need to be.
  • itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the notes, it will only take me 2 minutes to write down what i want, just a quick reference to help do things quickly because numbers are easy to screw up, i can do easier subnetting in my head but i want to be efficient as possible due to the timer.
  • MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright yea its against the rules - Ill keep that in mind for my next exam - Thanks you guys I don't want to fail an exam like that!
    If you need to **** stuff onto a dry erase sheet then you probably aren't as ready for the exam as you need to be.

Not that I do... But people take test differently and many people begin to freak out during tests due to stress and anxiety... (therefore forgeting things) Your given them as a tool just like in the field where people don't know what to do they either go to their notes or to google...
  • itgl72itgl72 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If they give you an erase board and marker, then there is no reason not to use it to make the best use of time. You're not leaving with your notes after the test, and you're waiting until the first question flashes on your screen before you write down your notes, then there should be no problem. They gave me two sheets, and a marker. I used one sheet to right down 2^7 and down, 128, 64, and down, .128, .192, and down. Can I do it in my head? Pretty much. Can I do it, and feel confirmed that its right, and quicker, as the little timer is ticking in the top right hand corner if I glance at my work notes to make sure, 2^6, thats 64, thats 62 hosts, thats 255.255.255.192, yes, and its OK. In the real world I've always felt there was less pressure working on the job, then being "tested" with a "timer" so how ever you choose to deal with a testing situation, within the rules should be acceptable. We're all different.
  • SpatulatorSpatulator Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itgl72 wrote: »
    If they give you an erase board and marker, then there is no reason not to use it to make the best use of time. You're not leaving with your notes after the test, and you're waiting until the first question flashes on your screen before you write down your notes, then there should be no problem. They gave me two sheets, and a marker. I used one sheet to right down 2^7 and down, 128, 64, and down, .128, .192, and down. Can I do it in my head? Pretty much. Can I do it, and feel confirmed that its right, and quicker, as the little timer is ticking in the top right hand corner if I glance at my work notes to make sure, 2^6, thats 64, thats 62 hosts, thats 255.255.255.192, yes, and its OK. In the real world I've always felt there was less pressure working on the job, then being "tested" with a "timer" so how ever you choose to deal with a testing situation, within the rules should be acceptable. We're all different.

I completely agree, practice it enough so you can do it in your head, but a small table for reference greatly reduces your chance of making a simple counting error, and can only speed up your subnetting question response times. Its pretty much a test taker's secret weapon =)