Options

CCNA v2 - Home lab set-up...

deejayldndeejayldn Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have been lurking on here for a while now and have just started to study for my CCNA. I'm very practical and hands on so I went out bought the standard lab equipment for my home lab from eBay.

I have:
3x 2621Xm
3x 2950
plus all the relevant console cables etc...

My worry is, I am not sure I am going to pass the CCNA before the September cut off and we move to V2 of the exams... Will my home lab still be sufficient with the V2 course content?

Thanks in advance for any replies....

Dave.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Grab the exam topics, head to the Cisco Feature Navigator and see what your IOS can and can not do.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I did have a look at this and I confirmed it can do IPv6 on the routers with my IOS version. Seeing as the switches are layer 2 I don't expect any issues there as they will just be forwarding packets. Am I missing anything?

Being very new to all of this makes understanding the differences and the potential hardware obstacles very difficult indeed. I was just after anyone with more knowledge to confirm the kit would still work really...

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    3x 2621Xm and 3x 2950 are perfect, but obviously these won't run the ios 15, so you won't be able to practice some of the features / options that are only available in that ios.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    You'll only miss the IOS 15 topics in the CCNA ICND2. Most notably the licensing objectives.

However, you're all set for IPv6, OSPFv3, SNMP, SYSLOG, and if you have the 12.4T or higher, Flows. Those are some of the main newly added topics. The new CCNA puts a greater focus on IPv6 and Network Management.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Thank you both for the information and confirming that I should be able to lab most of the options in the new test that aren't solely reliant on IOS 15.

It's quite a quandary for me. Part of me says get in now while the exams are apparently easier, but the other part thinks surely it is better to take the newer exams with the more relevant newer knowledge...

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dave I couldn't agree any more.

My mindset was to take the older (still current) exams, but in all honesty I think it is best to take the more relevant and newer certification.

I'm glad Cisco has stepped up and revised the CCNA certification.
  • Options
    Indeed, I'm not sure it is worth cramming in the new knowledge for me just to get a pass. I want to actually learn it so I can use the knowledge in my job and for any interview tests.

Roll on October is what I say!