Options

Weird DNS problem

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
Over the last couple of days been experiencing a strange problem relating to our website and email. Our website was working normally but now it intermittantly works. Been getting an error message stating our domain has expired but checking with our hosting company it is all working fine. I ran an ipconfig /flushdns as well as cleared the cache but it didn't fix the problem permanently.

I have been using OpenDNS but now gone back to using my ISP's dns servers.So far my website and email seem to be working now after going back to using my ISP's dns (although only made this change an hour ago. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what could cause an issue like this? i had been using Open DNS because apparently its faster although have heard that being outside USA negates this.

My partner who also uses OpenDNS but a different ISP also reported similar intermittant connectivity to our website and pop3 email.

Any DNS experts out there with any ideas why this could cause issues please come back to me.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you would provide the domain name, people might actually be able to help you...
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off, are you certain it is a DNS issue, and not an issue with intermittent loss connectivity to the actual servers?

When you say you switched to your ISP's DNS servers, do you mean that your registrar and change the authoritative servers for the domain name from OpenDNS back to your ISP's servers? If so, how long ago did you do this? It can take a little while for that change to propegate throughout the rest of the Internet's DNS servers.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have had this type of problem before where certain regions of the country could not get to my web site. Who is unable to access the web site and what do the results of a traceroute to your domain name look like? What IP does your domain name resolve to from thier workstation? What does a traceroute to that IP look like? A ping?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Figure out where the error is from and attack it from that angle. Who is stating that your domain has expired? What name servers do you have your domains hosted on? That would be where I would start.