Options

Help Routing a small office

pobo90pobo90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody!

I am currently studying for the CCNA and I thought a great way to practice is to actually set up a small office with Cisco Routers and Switches! I would like some help getting started.

The office is a small contracting office which currently holds about 3-5 end users including a network printer. (small as it gets no?)

My question is, what kind of equipment (routers, switches, etc) should I buy that would allow me to implement all the CCNA objectives in this small office network? I would like to apply most if not all the topics covered in the exam, providing of course that it fits the need of this small office.

Also, are there any websites or pages that list the step by steps of setting up a small office using networking technologies and concepts?

I'm really excited for this learning opportunity and would appreciate any help and feedback. I will be posting regularly on my progress so that I can receive the constructive feedback that I need to be a competent worker in the field.

Comments

• Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If possible I would say 1 router, 1 switch, and however much cable you need. Run all the users to the switch and the switch to the router, with the router to your internet/intranet connection. Then you could play with setting up port security on the switch. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to work with STP/VTP on a single switch network, but those aren't necessary at so few users.

To practice your skills you could also throw a personal laptop in as a 6th user and work with ACLs, TFTP, syslog and IOS updates/backups, to do some real world testing with your computer. The most valuable skill you'll gain is from the small problems you aren't expecting that only crop up with real gear, not simulators :)

Good luck with it and if you've got any more questions throw them out!
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first thing is what kind of connection are you going to use to get out to the world. T1 line, DSL, Cable, etc. after that you can figure out which router to use but an 800 series router may work for you.
  • Options
    pobo90pobo90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe their ISP is a DSL line. And specific model of routers or switches? I'd like to start estiamting how much the cost is going to be.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know this may be a little more advanced then what you are looking for but it goes through all the exam objectives in one lab. Goodluck! Peenkcity: Ultimate CCNA Challenge Lab
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at Cisco 804 model or a 2611XM with the DSL card and maybe a 2950 switch. It sounds like you haven't done a site survey yet. Are the computers and printers using wall port to plug in or just running cable along the floor/ceiling for connection.