Linux flavor hell!

goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, I got Red Hat 9 book/Cd to practice on. And I get "Kernel Panic, Attempt to kill init" after every install.

Then I get the fedora linux 2 and get the same things.

Its not a big issue as to why im getting these error messages (but i think it might be cuz im on a amd cpu -just my guess) But since the 2 recomended flavors i need to practice on wont work...what would be the next best thing to do my Linux+ dabbling with?

...thanks for your pennies.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Did you try RH9 and FC2 on the same machine? A kernel panic is often a symptom of a hardware problem or driver incompatibility. You can think of it as a BSOD that is kinder to your machine and data.

Look at the listing of modules, drivers, and services that are being loaded at startup (or during the installation). Note which one appears just before the kernel panic. It may give you an idea of what is causing the problem. However, sometimes the "problem" driver or service blows up before it is displayed on the screen.

See if you can successfully install either Linux on a different machine. If you don't have another machine, then pull all the extra cards (e.g., sound, USB, Firewire, SCSI, etc.) and set the CMOS settings to the "safe" settings. Then try the installation again.

I think this is an excellent first experience for you to learn the material in the Linux+ troubleshooting objective.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    goasakawa wrote:
    Ok, I got Red Hat 9 book/Cd to practice on. And I get "Kernel Panic, Attempt to kill init" after every install.

Then I get the fedora linux 2 and get the same things.

Its not a big issue as to why im getting these error messages (but i think it might be cuz im on a amd cpu -just my guess) But since the 2 recomended flavors i need to practice on wont work...what would be the next best thing to do my Linux+ dabbling with?

...thanks for your pennies.

you have a badly installed physical RAM, or at least one or more memory modules/chips in your box is dead.. (your graphics card also have memory chips) or you are having a memory resident virus..
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check for the latest bios update before you go swaping out RAM. Had this problem a year or so ago on a 1800+ and a simple update fixed it.
  • rifficriffic Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oh god, redhat.

you might want to try debian or ubuntu. I'm running ubuntu breezy and its pretty awesome.

you're probably running into driver problems with some recent hardware, older releases such as rh9 and fc2 won't recognize all the new stuff out now. if you really wish to stick with a redhat based linux os, go fedora core 4.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When the boot up starts, hit I and then ENTER. This will put you in interactive boot up mode. Start by only loading the essential things first (check your redhat book to find out what these are :D )

I'd try not loading apmd to start with.