Options

Does anyone prefer using IPV6 over IPV4?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone prefer using IPV6 rather than IPV4? No NAT PAT seems like an obvious plus. Anyone have any experience/preferences on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I would say that time of IPv6 is yet to come.. The implementations are not as mature as they should be (IPv4 history repeats). I do enjoy playing with and testing of IPv6. However, I would not recommend enterprise networks to adopt it.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use both. I have no particular preference--they both support mainstream routing protocols and transport data!
    The implementations are not as mature as they should be (IPv4 history repeats).

The big networking vendors have been testing IPv6 for over a decade, and it seems to work okay for me. If your network has no particular need for it, of course I'd be wary of making unnecessary changes.
  • Options
    If your network has no particular need for it, of course I'd be wary of making unnecessary changes.

Absolutely agree :)
    The big networking vendors have been testing IPv6 for over a decade, and it seems to work okay for me.

Well, I do not know much about general networking equipment.. But in security systems, there is a bug found every now and then. Lets mention personal firewalls from Kaspersky, Aventail.. And look at the CVEs associated with IPv6 (CVE - Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE)), if you compare the number to the size of IPv6 deployment.. and big names can be found there too.

Do you use windows stations in your network? Once inside, it is rather easy to bring them down :)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rscrt wrote: »
    Lets mention personal firewalls from Kaspersky, Aventail..
    Those don't run on IOS, JunOS, or IronWare!
    Well, I do not know much about general networking equipment..
    I do not know much about PCs. :D
  • Options
    Those don't run on IOS, JunOS, or IronWare!

From what I've known, at least IOS is not flawless either. Extension headers can do mess.. Just sayin' :)

Has anyone experienced any secuirty problems with IPv6? That would be my major concern regarding IPv6. On the other hand, it brings several benefits.. Just give it some more time :) (trying to get back to original topic, sorry OP..)
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I still can't get used to IPv6 :D Not that I don't like it or anything, it's cool but it still feels kind of strange.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    I can't imagine anyone wanting to "play" with IPV6 ha.. ha..

Seriously. There is no reason to use IPV6 that I can come up with on an internal network. The internet will eventually use it assuming all the logistics of implementation can be worked out but Internet routers will translate IPV6 to IPV4 so in theory internal network won't or don't have to change and I can't see anyone creating the headache of an IPV6 scheme unless they absolutely had to.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Comcast finally rolled out IPv6 in my area a few months back. Now, I have 18.45 QUINTILLION (18.45 MILLION TRILLION) IP Addresses at my disposal. Personally, IPv6 is a PITA, but I do like having as many addresses as I want. Now, what I need is some way of translating a public IPv6 Address to a Private IPv4 Address (NAT-PT Perhaps???) so that I can give my non-IPv6 compatible equipment Public IPv6 Addresses [for remote access.]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]