If you could have just one router...

JDexJDex Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
... due to space and inconsistent power, what would you be looking for?

After a tumultuous few years on an eclectic professional tangent, I'm trying to get back into the stable·ish Networking/IT side of the world. I have a deep background with Level 1 - 3 back before they were called such things (by many at least). Token Ring, early ethernet all the way up to Enhanced Cat5E being introduced right before the big wireless bang. Hubs and bridges, hubs and bridges.

My first instinct was to consume as much understanding from a CCNA bootcamp as I could to get caught up, then not do the exam... now that I'm 40% or so in and I'm hooked. Gonna finish the whole thing before committing to book buying and cramming for a pre Sept 15th test.

So back to the question... my current living situation is not adequate in anyway to have even a small home lab, but I really need a copy of IOS. After a few hours of basic research I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the background yet to shop for one. In a few weeks I will, but I really want to get started with GNS3 quicker than that (hope that doesn't rub anyone as too impatient, but time is a-ticking away).

If you had to get one router with IOS12 that you would be able to have around for a future CCNP lab... what would it be?

Anywho, thanks for the great community... so far it's been a wealth of info.

EDIT: Tentative Track plan is CCNA>CCNA Sec>CCNP and probably get the BSIT-NetworkAdministration at WGU between the CCNA and CCNP.

Comments

• MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One router, I don't have this one, but I heard the 800 series are really good. The teacher from CBT nuggets also likes the 800 serise.
    Cisco 800 series Routers – the best routers to practice for your CCNA exam and learn the IOS

Good luck to you on reaching your goal before the September deadline!
  • JDexJDex Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I really like that router, and may get one to replace my home router a bit later. But for my lab needs I am looking for something that would be solid on a CCNP lab later, down the road a bit.

A few more hours of learning has me thinking about a 1841 256/64 as my getting started with IOS choice. This will give me 12.4 and 12.4t access immediately on GNS3, and has some of the feature set (to my newbish knowledge) that will be useful when/if I head down the CCNP path - which is appearing pretty likely.

Price isn't my biggest concern - accessibility to experience in the short and long term is my core concern. When the opportunity hits and I can grab a few switches and a pair of lesser routers (maybe 2611XMs or other 2600XM series).

Any thoughts on my leanings?

Also, offhand... does anyone know if GNS3 allows you to configure all the modules in the various module routers?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on why you only want 1 router. If you don't have much to spend, then I'd go with a 1751. They run about $40 and can run ISO 12.4T. If you have enough money, but no space, then look for an IOS 15 router, such as the 18xx, 28xx, or even 19xx or 29xx series. The former will run $200 on up and the latter (1900/2900 series) will run closer to a grand (even more if you buy one new with SmartNet, but that would give you access to IOS upgrades and full support from Cisco) but are the latest/greatest Cisco has to offer.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Ah... hadn't discovered the 1751. I need to look it over. Still trying to figure out what features make a router good for the longterm goal of CCNP... but if I can indeed get a working 1751 with IOS12t for under $100 it seems like a no brainer.

The reason for only one router is not really an economical issue in the context of buying the router... more an issue of space/cooling/stable-electricity where I'm living at the moment is not conducive to sensitive electronic equipment. If and when I plug in the lone router here, it will be through an ETA power conditioner and fully charged UPS (already have these items).

So the short term solution is get one with IOS12 to use GNS3 with until I relocate (which will likely be after I sit for the test for the first time).

Thanks for the pointer to the 1751. Maybe it'll do.
    JDex wrote: »
    Ah... hadn't discovered the 1751. I need to look it over. Still trying to figure out what features make a router good for the longterm goal of CCNP... but if I can indeed get a working 1751 with IOS12t for under $100 it seems like a no brainer.

The reason for only one router is not really an economical issue in the context of buying the router... more an issue of space/cooling/stable-electricity where I'm living at the moment is not conducive to sensitive electronic equipment. If and when I plug in the lone router here, it will be through an ETA power conditioner and fully charged UPS (already have these items).

So the short term solution is get one with IOS12 to use GNS3 with until I relocate (which will likely be after I sit for the test for the first time).

Thanks for the pointer to the 1751. Maybe it'll do.

If you plan on continuing to CCNP, you might need a newer router (IOS 15) and possibly a Layer 3 switch. Anybody able to confirm this? That said, you could get a 1751 for now and get something newer once you start your CCNP.
    theodoxa wrote: »
    If you plan on continuing to CCNP, you might need a newer router (IOS 15) and possibly a Layer 3 switch. Anybody able to confirm this? That said, you could get a 1751 for now and get something newer once you start your CCNP.

Aye, if the el cheapo 1751 can get me in IOS 12/12t... I'll be doing it. Still haven't looked up the specs (been learning subnetting). I probably won't be doing heavy CCNP studies for at least 8 months so that gear CAN wait... but I was thinking I couldn't get into the IOS 12t area so cheap so I figured spend the money on something applicable now and later. I expect I'll be in a far more suitable living environment by the time my CCNP lab is a pressing concern.

Thanks for the insight.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    1800, 2800, or 3800 series for sure.

The 1841 can be had for 100.00, the 2800's in the same ball park. The 3800's have more NM/HWIC slots and are a little more expensive.

All of those platofrms support the latest and greatest 15.x IOS.

If you can drop a little more cash look into the 1900 series. I have a 1921 as my home router and LOVE it. The 2900 series is also very nice. I use 2911's and 2951's at work and love them, especially with SRE modules. However, those are significantly more expensive.

Stay away from 2600, 1700, 3600 etc. Those are too old for the cash that you'd spend. Get something that supports IOS 15
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
    Corndork2 wrote: »
    1800, 2800, or 3800 series for sure.

The 1841 can be had for 100.00, the 2800's in the same ball park. The 3800's have more NM/HWIC slots and are a little more expensive.

All of those platofrms support the latest and greatest 15.x IOS.

If you can drop a little more cash look into the 1900 series. I have a 1921 as my home router and LOVE it. The 2900 series is also very nice. I use 2911's and 2951's at work and love them, especially with SRE modules. However, those are significantly more expensive.

Stay away from 2600, 1700, 3600 etc. Those are too old for the cash that you'd spend. Get something that supports IOS 15

Where'd you find an 1841 for $100? I'd consider buying one for that price [as long as it comes with IOS 15 installed.]
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could have had one for maybe less than that on eBay. I was trying to be too cheap too late and it ended up going for about 75. Doubt it had IOS 15 installed though.