Options

Networking for VMs

pratikashpratikash Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hii All,
I want to know about the basics of networking for VMs,most importantly on what basis does one assign IP addresses to the Vms while configuring if i am assigning static ip addresses.
I wanted to understand the different scenarios and usage accordingly which IP addresses are assigned -
1) when i want only the VMs to talk to each other only.
2)when i want the VMs to talk to other physical computers on the same network as host network.
3)when i want the VMs to access the internet.
4)when i want the VMs to talk to other VMs on another host on the same network as the former host

Thanks and Regards,
Pratikash

Comments

• Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Here is some reading materials on Networking for VMware workstation: Common Networking Configurations

Same networking idea is behind the Virtual PC, Sun VirtualBox, Hyper-V. VMware ESXi is a bit different -regrading the NAT and Bridged part.

Here is Networking for VMware ESXi: Virtual Networking 101: Understanding VMware Networking

Learn the above stuff, otherwise you will get frustrated and give up later down the road.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pratikash wrote: »
    Hii All,
    I want to know about the basics of networking for VMs,most importantly on what basis does one assign IP addresses to the Vms while configuring if i am assigning static ip addresses.
    I wanted to understand the different scenarios and usage accordingly which IP addresses are assigned -
    1) when i want only the VMs to talk to each other only.
    2)when i want the VMs to talk to other physical computers on the same network as host network.
    3)when i want the VMs to access the internet.
    4)when i want the VMs to talk to other VMs on another host on the same network as the former host

Thanks and Regards,
    Pratikash

1. Same as you would a physical server.
    2. Same as you would a physical server.
    3. Same as you would a physical server.
    4. Same as you would a physical server.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    pratikashpratikash Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A lot of thanks to J Brown and Dave for their suggestions :) .However, since i am new to both virtual and physical networking , it would be really great if you can give me some insights as exactly how in case of physical networks as well as virtual networks I would be able to set up the configurations for each of the four scenarios i have listed.

Thanks and Regards,
    Pratikash
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you don't have experience, start off with Network+ or CCENT.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman