GNS3 - Unstable or is it my configs?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Is GNS3 considered stable? I can get 2 routers to ping eachother just fine. But when my topology is 4 routers and a frame relay switch, the pings drop down to 40 to 60% and rarely pass over the frame relay switch. but sometimes works fine. Using EIGRP and Frame Relay.

Can anyone offer some advice or insite to make the network work better?

Thanks,
Node

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What images are you using? Also, have you set the Idle PC setting?
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    GNS3 is unstable for certain platforms and images. I'm using 3725 and it's been stable. Post your topology and configs.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I run into it being unstable sometimes when I get over 4 routers. As someone else suggested you may want to play around with the idle PC settings. I run 2621xm 12.4(25)d image.
    WGU grad
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I remember when I was using 2600XM images on it gns3 crashed often for me. I then switched to a different image, I think it was a 3600 image and it worked great. I will double check when I get home which image I was actually using on it.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    It can be, that's the reason I invested in my own home lab. I used GNS3 heavily for my BGP/MPLS/QoS studies and I'd running in something every couple of labs. However for how much it costs it works rather well haha.

It will also help you in run, since you will most likely confirm your configure is 100% correct and will do whatever debugs you need to verify the everything is working as it should. It will just get old after a while.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2600 images do not run well. I would get a 3725 image. Those run well enough that I sometimes forget I have GNS3 running.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Definitely check idlepc. If you are having trouble on a modern computer with only 4 routers you are doing something wrong. If you can't get GNS3 to calm down for you then you might want to give dynamips from the command line a try.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.